Cornmeal ??

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by coolj, May 24, 2001.

1. coolj

coolj

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Can anyone tell me what the difference is between grits and polenta ?.

Thanks

2. foodnfoto

foodnfoto

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Cornmeal, polenta and grits are essentially the same thing-ground corn. The difference lies in the coarseness of the grind. Cornmeal is the finest and grits are coarsest with polenta somewhere in the middle. The color difference depends on the variety of the corn and its natural color. Just as how you can buy white, yellow, blue or red tortilla chips, so can you buy white, yellow or blue corn grits.
    That being said, the most popular variety of grits is white, they tend to yield the creamiest concoction.

Speaking of, has anyone ever had Carolina Shrimp and Grits?---the Best!
    If I had to die tomorrow, I think it would be my choice for a last meal.

3. seattledeb

seattledeb

Foodnfoto..I've never seen blue cornmeal...have you cooked with it? Just buy it at the store?

4. coolj

coolj

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    thanks for the info, by the way how do you make the Carolina shrimp and grits Foodnfoto ?.

5. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    I just happen to have an organic farmer coming to market Sat that has yellow, white, blue cornmeal...buckwheat, wheat, oats...
    The dieticans are making blue cornmuffins to serve, and are developing recipes for this guy.
    Stone ground organic grains!!!!

6. markdchef

markdchef

grits I believe is the white part of the corn kernel while polenta is ground corn.

7. seattledeb

seattledeb

I think I'd like to try those Shroom...I've had blue corn entrees (enchiladas, etc.) in Taos, NM..they were great, but haven't seen those products in the stores here in the NW.

8. foodnfoto

foodnfoto

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Ok, Shrimp & Grits was made famous by Bill Neal, chef of Crook's Corner in Chapel Hill, NC. Here's a recipe.

For the Grits-
    4 cups water
    1 tsp. salt
    1 cup old fashioned grits (NOT quick or 1 minute grits)
    1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
    2 Tbs. grated parmesan cheese
    pepper
    Tabasco sauce

Bring water and salt to a rolling boil; slowly sprinkle in grits while stirring constantly. Return to a boil; lower heat to medium-low and stir every 3-4 minutes. Let the grits bubble and sputter gently for 20 minutes giving them a stir every 5 minutes to prevent scorching. After 20 minutes, remove from heat and add the cheese; stir until melted and smooth. Stir in a few grinds of fresh pepper and a shake or two of Tabasco.

Meanwhile, for the shrimp---
    4 slices bacon, cut into 1/2" pieces
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    1 lb. large shrimp, peeled and deveined
    1 cup sliced mushrooms
    1 bunch scallions, chopped
    1/2 cup chopped parsley
    2 lemons, halved
    Prepare all the ingredients and have them ready next to the stove. Heat a heavy skillet (cast iron is best) over medium-high heat until very hot. Add the bacon and cook, stirring, until crispy. Drain off all but about one Tbs. fat. Add garlic and shrimp and cook for 2 minutes until shrimp begins to color. It should really sizzle, so don't be afraid to keep the heat high; just stir occassionally to keep from scorching. Add mushrooms and scallions and return to a high sizzle; cook until shrimp is cooked through and veggies are slightly softened and a bit brown. Add parsley and squeeze juice from the lemons onto shrimp.

Spoon grits onto four heated dinner plates. Top each mound of grits with the shrimp. Garnish with a few grinds of black pepper.
    Enjoy!

[ May 25, 2001: Message edited by: foodnfoto ]