cornish hen stuffing

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by fmsfms, Nov 17, 2004.

1. fmsfms

fmsfms

i am looking for a unique stuffing recipe for cornish hens - prefer not rice based, done that - any ideas are appreciated - thanks in advance

2. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    The possibilities are endless here. Any idea what way you want to go with it? For a Southwestern flair make a chorizo and cornbread stuffing and glaze the birds with a Chipotle-Cinnamon glaze (honey based). For an Italian flair make a stuffing with diced salami, pepperoni, provolone, parmesan, etc. and brush the birds with pesto. Or you could fill the birds with cooked couscous studded with dried fruits, nuts and preserved lemon and then brush the birds with Harissa Sauce or Season with a Middle Eastern or Moroccan spice blend.

3. markv

markv

Sometimes I just stuff my poutry with onion, lemon, garlic and parsley. I do it not so much to have a stuffing as a side dish, (although you can use it as such), but more to flavor the bird. I particularly like the aroma of this aromatic combo.

4. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Rice with fruit- dried cranberries, apricots, raisins, plums/prunes- is great. When I stuff a cornish hen I chop the stuffing ingredients quite small because the cavity is so small. That way a good mix of ingredients is distributed in the stuffing and it's not too much of one flavor. Remember, rice expands and so does dried fruit, so don't overstuff or you'll have concrete in your bird.