Corned Beef

Joined Oct 9, 2008
I was thinking, as long as I happen to have thought of this significantly before St. Patty's Day, I might corn my own beef brisket. Now here's the thing. The recipe I have, from Polcyn and Ruhlman's Charcuterie, has you brine the brisket for 5 days. Fair enough. But when that 5 days is up, what do I do? I mean, I could leave it in the brine, I could take it out and seal it in a bag for later cooking, I could seal it and freeze it, whatever. I'm just not sure. Seems to me that after 5 days, the brine and the meat will have reached equilibrium, and it shouldn't make a lot of difference if the meat sits in there for another week or so, but I could be wrong.

Anyone have any expert advice on this?

Joined May 5, 2010
Yes ...I started my brine in early February and it has been in the brine since. I will remove it from the brine on St. Patty's Day morning, rinse it well, then roast it. I know many people who boil it, but I enjoy the caramelization of the crust when it's roasted.
On another note....I have brined corned beef for a week and found the flavor not as strong as when done for a month. I do Sauerbraten the same way.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
I don't know from corning beef, but Aldi has point cut CB for $1.99/lb this week. I'm going to score a couple and rinse, rub and smoke them for what I think might be a really, really good Ruben party. Or save one for my St. Patty's day Golumpkis.

Joined May 5, 2010
mike9 that's an incredible price for CB. I don't know what point cut is but does it include the deckel perhaps?

Joined Jul 13, 2012
The point cut is fattier and marbled the flat cut is leaner. For golumpkis I usually buy the round for grinding, but at this price it's going in the smoker first.

Joined Oct 31, 2012
I used to brine CB for about 7-ten days. I don't see a problem with leaving it in the brine for awhile longer. Under refrigeration of course.
I also found that for corned beef hash, I could grind it first, then brine it and it was ready in 24 hours. That was a great convenience.

Joined Aug 15, 2003
I would stay away from Ruhlman's corned beef recipe, I've found it lacks punch.

That book in general is spotty for me...all the info is great and pretty much spot on, but his recipe's (IMO) leave a lot to be desired.

I've had good luck with the chefsteps corned beef recipe. I've also converted to cooking my CB sous vide, if you have the means and time I recommend that as well. IIRC it's 140f for 48 hrs, but don't quote me.

Joined May 5, 2010
I would stay away from Ruhlman's corned beef recipe, I've found it lacks punch.

That book in general is spotty for me...all the info is great and pretty much spot on, but his recipe's (IMO) leave a lot to be desired.

I've had good luck with the chefsteps corned beef recipe. I've also converted to cooking my CB sous vide, if you have the means and time I recommend that as well. IIRC it's 140f for 48 hrs, but don't quote me.

I found his recipes to lack flavor personally

Joined Oct 23, 2012
Used to brine for about 10 days (with instacure) then dry brine in a rub for another week or so (no instacure, just spices). I have found that a dry brine with instacure for about a week or so does the trick pretty well. Something similar to Kenji's Serious Eats Corned Beef

Roasting works. Sous Vide works darn well also. Boiling or braising has never been my favorite.

Latest posts

Top Bottom