corned beef and cabbage 'unplugged'?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by durangojo, Mar 14, 2012.

1. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    any twists or takes for a corned beef and cabbage special? the ranch is a small 'boutique' guest ranch, with well heeled guests, so my goal is to add a bit of pizazz, but still keep it a simple comfort food dish....guinness? parsnips? mutlicolored fingerlings? irish whiskey? a different herb perhaps? any thoughts are appreciated..........erin go braugh!

joey

2. tracymc

tracymc

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    I am doing a couple of offerings, Corned Beef and Cabbage dinner, Corned Beef with Boddington's, with stone ground mustard, braised Napa Cabbage Wedges and Leeks, Smashed Multicolor Fingerlings with a Guiness reduction gravy, and Murphy's Stout and Gouda Dinner Rolls. As well as a Reuben Slider with house made saurkraut on a Griiled Marbled Rye Slider Roll, Colcannon, and a Napa Cabbage Slaw. For dessert we will do a Bailey' Bead Pudding with a Jameson Sauce, as well as a chocolate shortdough crusted Bailey's Cheesecake with Guiness Chocolate Drizzle. Have about 200 guests of the Friendly Sons of St.Patrick. Should be fun,Menu Check, Whiskey Check, Guiness Check, now to find a couple more bartenders, this should be intresting, since everyone in our city is busy! Any ideas for a good Irish Breakfast, they have decided this morning they would like breakfast for 70 folks as well prior to the parade. Cheers;)

Chef Trace

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  3. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Grilled Corned Beef with a Guiness Whole Grain Mustard Sauce and a Pumpernickel Bread Pudding, a hearty custard of  a trio of braised Cabbages( Savoy, Brussel Sprouts, and Kale), Apples, and Pumpernickel Bread

4. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    cheflayne,

can you please expound on your menu a bit...per se... the grilling of the corned beef and a rundown of the braised cabbage custard...for some reason i think people forget that kale is in the cabbage family...that trio sounds just perfect....

tracy, wonderful fun menu...yes to leeks and guinness gravy...haven't processed it all yet but maybe i can do both gravy and mustard sauce......

thank you both for not only your wonderful ideas but the speedy reply...today is ordering day!

joey

5. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    Cheflayne, never had that type of bread pudding before, sounds interesting.

@ Joey : Red cabbage with apples and onions cooked  in a dutch oven with sugar , vinegar ,  water , butter , peppercorn & clove, allspice  (in a tea ball).....

Red cabbage & fennel. Glazed corned beef with apricot preserve.

6. margcata

margcata Banned

Exp:
    Food Writer
    Chef Layne,

Like the idea of the " Trio of cabbage varieties " ... nice ... I use black Cavolo or Dinosaur as many call it in the USA, Kale and Swiss Chard ...

Doing a Cornbeef for an Irish friend and her Spanish gent, and us --- and of course, the perfect potatoes from Galician, northwestern Spain ---

Have a wonderful 17th,

Margcata.

7. tracymc

tracymc

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    DJ, I just serve the stone ground mustard on the side, its not a sauce, but very well could be! Any traditional breakfast thoughts?

8. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    For the corned beef you cook it as normal until tender but not falling apart. remove it from the broth and dry well. You can then grill it whole until the fat cap crisp up almost like bacon and then thinly slice or you can cut thick individual steak slices and grill them to order and then slice thinly on a bias across the grain. My preference is probably the whole grill method.

The bread pudding is a fairly typical savory bread pudding type with braised chiffonade of cabbage and sauteed apples included. I don't have a specific recipe for this particular bread pudding but I do have one for an eggplant bread pudding that I could post if you want and just adjust out the egg plant for the cabbage and apples.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  9. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    that would be great chef if you have the time...maybe post it in recipes for all to share....thanks so much

joey

10. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    consider it done

11. luvpie

luvpie

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I can't add anything new because I like the standard way of typical Corned Beef and Cabbage, boiled potatoes, with maybe some carrots, Irish Soda bread and creamy horseradishy sour creamy sauce for dipping each bite into.

we love this meal.  so good

12. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food

I just did these with a small ( 2 pound ) chunk of brisket for a few lunches at work.  None of the guys had seen purple potatoes before.

mjb.

13. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Neither my husband nor I are fans of the traditional Corned Beef dinner. 

My Mother would boil ( the s#!+ out of ) everything to death, I think that’s all she really knew how to cook 

and my Dad’s version was Hormel Canned Corned Beef in a fry pan with some oil,

throw in some onions and then some cabbage; let it all get crispy

( kinda’ ono you know ) put 'em all on top some steamed rice with some shoyu ( soy sauce )

but no matter what was put down in front of us as kids, you had to eat. 

So with that said, we’re going to U of A Baseball on Saturday;

it’ll be a dog, beer, pretzel, peanut and then maybe on the way home, ice cream !!

Lá Fhéile Pádraig Sona Duit

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  14. thetincook

thetincook

Exp:
    Line Cook
    I braise the cabbage seperatly. Also, I keep my family's tradition of making a horseradish sauce by folding prepared horseradish, salt, white pepper, and a touch of worschester into plain whipped cream.

15. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    since we are all addicts of affirmation, thank you...you rock!

joey

16. boar_d_laze

boar_d_laze

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    You guys might be beyond this, but, here's my recipe for Corned Beef and Cabbage.  It's a solid take on an old classic with a couple of ingredients to add a little zing and sweetness to the regular flavor profile.  Worth a look.  Who knows?  You might learn something.

On the other hand, there are some technique twists in my recipe for Corned Beef Hash which might up your game.

Let me know what you think.

BDL

17. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food

The main problem with the 2 pound brisket was that it provided no leftovers for corned beef hash.  But there might be a market or two having a sale on corned beef come Sunday, so I'll just buy some more.

mjb.