Cornbread Muffin Question

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by kokopuffs, May 22, 2011.

1. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    My recipe for cornbread muffins calls for 1 1/4 C milk.  Is there any reason that buttermilk cannot be substituted for it?

2. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    hello again,

You can substitute the buttermilk. are you using low fat or regular buttermilk?

If you double the recipe add 1/2 tsp or so of baking soda to off set the acid.

Wouldn't hurt to put a pinch + in 1 1/4 cup

jeff

3. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I'm using low fat buttermilk.

4. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    cool.

You've made me want some. I think I'll whip up a batch.

Have peppers, corn,  No milk or liquid, should be interesting.

5. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    Buttermilk makes the best corn bread and muffins, in my opinion.  Substitute some of the baking powder with a little less than that amount of soda (for 2 tsp powder, use 1 tsp powder and 1/2 tsp soda, or less)

Isn't buttermilk the serum left after butter has been made with the cream?  therefore without the fat?  That's what i read years ago, that's what i always believed.  Anyone know?

6. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    "Buttermilk makes the best corn bread and muffins, in my opinion.  Substitute some of the baking powder with a little less than that amount of soda (for 2 tsp powder, use 1 tsp powder and 1/2 tsp soda, or less"

Didn't realize there was a recipe posted. I actually make Chinese cornbread. use a water roux.

Use regular buttermilk in my bakery for years.

I now understand why chefedb posts a bio

7. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Correct, it's what remains after butter forms from cream.  Yet some supermarkets sell a regular (or high fat) buttermilk and it not only tastes great, it keeps for an extra long time in the fridge.  I've stored an open quart of high fat stuff for over 10 months in the fridge without any change in flavor and without separation.

8. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    But then, kokopuffs, if it's what's left after making butter, there would be no fat left in it, so it wouldn't be buttermilk, would it? 

9. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Isn't buttermilk the serum left after butter has been made with the cream?  

No not in years.

Real buttermilk is almost gone. Some smaller dairies still make. Big dairies rush the butter out leaving nothing.

The buttermilk you are using is made with milk.

unless i'm having chemo brain again.

10. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    How sad. 

But then what makes buttermilk different from yoghurt?  The buttermilk i get (an organic german brand, Berchtesgadener Land, is amazingly good and doesn;t taste like yoghurt - in fact i'm convinced it makes better breads than yoghurt.  How is it cultured, is it a different bacteria than yoghurt?

11. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I'd google your inquiry.  Having made yogurt for over 35 years, the homemade stuff tastes nothing like buttermilk.  Methinks that they're two different bacterial cultures.  Cheeses are their own unique bacterial cultures, too, along with enzymes that produce distinct flavors.

"Berchtesgadener", I think that that's an area that Hitler hung out in.  8O

Last edited: May 23, 2011