Corn!

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by koukouvagia, Jun 27, 2014.

1. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    What do you do with corn? I like serving it on the cob with a little butter but that seems boring. What do you do to your cobs?

2. eastshores

eastshores

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Well, it's hard to beat really good sweet corn (not overcooked) rolled in butter!

One thing I have done with corn on the cob, and this also works for leftovers is to roast it on the grill. Let it cool down to handle then slice the kernels off for a roasted corn salsa. I usually add diced (poblano, onion, garlic), plenty of lime juice, S&P, and cilantro.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  3. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I love to roast them briefly (enough for a bit of char) over an open flame (I have a gas stove) if it's not possible to put them on my grill, then cut them off the cob and make a salad similar to one I read in a Sara Moulton cookbook. Summer Corn Salad, I think it was called.

I dice ripe tomatoes, sweet red onion, bell peppers (I dislike them but include them for others), English cucumbers (peel and all), diced carrots and celery. If I need it to be heartier I add small pasta of some kind, such as farfalline (little bow ties). I want all the ingredients to be about the same size so it's easy to eat with a fork at a picnic, etc. where you may not have someplace to put your plate down and "stab" larger bits of food. Sometimes I toss in some diced jicama, too. I make a light vinaigrette with olive oil, lemon, red wine vinegar and a tiny bit of Dijon mustard.  I sprinkle it with chopped fresh dill, chives, or Italian parsley. I've used fresh basil, too.

4. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Those sound awesome! I can't wait to try these. For today I'm keeping them cobbed but will make an herb butter to roll them in!

5. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I cut the kernels off the cob,set them aside, use the cobs to make a broth and use all of the above for corn chowder... Add what you like, green chilies, bacon, ham, veggies ...

6. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    Soak in the husks then onto the smoker for an our or so(peel back the husks to see if it has darkens, sign it is cooked. Smother in garlic butter and eat.

7. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I soak the fully husked ears in salt water for a while, mostly out of habit, not really sure the salt actually makes a difference. Sometimes after they've steamed for a while I pull off the husks and get a little char on the kernels.

mjb.

8. meezenplaz

meezenplaz

Exp:
    Sous Chef, Event Manager
    I use a light herb butter, some garlic, and I like some green in there too,  smear the mixture round the kernal--

if husks on, fold back over and bbq, if husks off, wrap in HD foil and drop into the hot coals 'til succulent.

9. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    During my cotton farming days (hubs #2 lol) I would sweet talk Mr John Deere into planting a few rows of sweet corn.
    I would wait impatiently for the corn silks to start turning brown and before anyone else was allowed to even walk down those rows, I would wander thru those itchy stalks.... pulling and shucking and eating.
    I can close my eyes and remember how it tasted.
    Warm from the sun...... crunchy but still tender.... milky and sweet.
    As Martha would say "a good thing".

mimi

10. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Lately I've been shucking them, slathering the ears with olive oil mayo and little sea salt then wrap in foil and onto the grill.  No butter needed after.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2014
  11. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Incredible! Do you add chicken stock too?

12. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    There seems to be 2 camps - charred vs not charred. I think I prefer not charred myself, so I often boil corn to retain that creamy yellow texture, I live it when the kernels pop in your mouth juicy and delicious. So wrapping in foil and putting on the grill sounds perfect.

Confession - I never made fresh corn until now. I have only ever bought frozen corn. I vow never to do that again while corn is in season.

13. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    [​IMG]

THE BEST!  This is corn from Kahuku, Oahu, Hawaii

the sweetest corn I've ever had!

Frozen corn is okay when fresh is not in season, agreed Miss KK, 

but when you can get, oh baby baby, there's nothing like it.

As to corn chowder, soup, whatever you want to call it, the world is your stockpot!

Add whatever you want, chicken, clams, oysters, potatoes...

a favorite in our home now is chicken tortilla soup, 

oh, and fresh creamed corn is no comparison to canned

14. chefbuba

chefbuba

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Try the Mexican version, Elote. Grill up your corn, and slather with a mixture of mayo, chili powder, cumin, garlic, lime juice, cilantro and cotija cheese (or canned parmesan). Sounds weird, mayo on hot corn but it melts in like butter. One of my favorite things when fresh corn is available.

millionsknives likes this.
  15. mtullius

mtullius

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I only buy fresh corn if its peaches and cream. I guess most people around here must agree because I've noticed in the past 10 years that's about all the roadside stands are growing and selling.

If we're grilling, I grill it in the husk after desilking and soaking. If not boiling is fine. Just until its hot enough to melt butter (Husband disagrees, he wants it cooked) Then butter salt and pepper for the 1st ear. Butter, salt and chili powder for the 2nd. Tony Chachere's is good too.

My daughter likes to let her ears get cold because then you can get more butter on it. The grandkids usually get filled up on raw ears as we shuck it.

Any leftovers, I  cut the kernels off and add to the current bowl of fresh salsa or make corn relish. Just whatever kind of peppers I have plus onion, a little sugar, vinegar and oil. I'm not a fan of cilantro but my husband likes some in his.

My MIL used to make corn cob jelly. (From the corn she canned, not cobs we chewed on. lol)

I like scalloped corn too. Not something I've ever made (why not?) but I always get some at potlucks.

16. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    YUM, cheesy corn bake, I hadn't thought of that I years.
    My Mother would make that a lot when I was a kid, cheap, easy and filling.

17. cj edmonson

cj edmonson

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    You can always puree the kernels and use as an ingredient for cornbread

18. mtullius

mtullius

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    oh yeah I forgot about cornbread. I just leave the kernels whole though and sometimes add green chiles.

19. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    When corn is in season my kitchen is always busy. Not only am I eating it but I blanch it and cut it off the cobs to freeze for winter. Use the cobs to make a corn stock and freeze that also for making a few pots of chowder in winter. Done right it is almost as good as fresh.

20. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Hmmm I make a corn pudding that people fight over. This year I'm doing it with fresh corn. Everybody will die.