Corn tortillas, keeping them warm

Joined May 10, 2018
I am wondering about whether it would be possible to quickly heat corn tortillas up on a grill with a bit of oil and then wrap in foil and put in a low crockpot. I know you can keep flour ones hot that way but I'd like to use corn for the halibut tacos I'm making for a dinner party for 8 next week. I really don't like cooking at the last min.

Thanks in advance and how happy I am to find these forums!
annc3333

Joined Sep 5, 2008
Honestly I don't think that's possible. The tortillas will become soggy from the steam generated inside the foil and when you put stuff inside and try to eat, they'll fall apart.

Joined Dec 18, 2010
I don't know why a crockpot wouldn't work but there is an inexpensive option that may be better. I routinely warm corn tortillas on the griddle (no oil is necessary) and stack into one of these - with a paper towel between the holder and the tortillas. We eat a lot of tacos. They stay warm for about 20 minutes or so with no significant degradation from steaming... as long as the lid isn't left off. This is also what most Mexicans in my area use too.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/imusa-reg-tortilla-warmer/1011401465

This is not an endorsement of this retailer (although I generally have very good dealings with them). The link is simply because it is a convenient way to show the exact product I successfully use to address the question being asked.

Joined May 10, 2018
Honestly I don't think that's possible. The tortillas will become soggy from the steam generated inside the foil and when you put stuff inside and try to eat, they'll fall apart.
Thanks, I think that is true. I will use a large griddle and do about six at once, won't take long at all..

Joined May 10, 2018
I don't know why a crockpot wouldn't work but there is an inexpensive option that may be better. I routinely warm corn tortillas on the griddle (no oil is necessary) and stack into one of these - with a paper towel between the holder and the tortillas. We eat a lot of tacos. They stay warm for about 20 minutes or so with no significant degradation from steaming... as long as the lid isn't left off. This is also what most Mexicans in my area use too.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/imusa-reg-tortilla-warmer/1011401465

This is not an endorsement of this retailer (although I generally have very good dealings with them). The link is simply because it is a convenient way to show the exact product I successfully use to address the question being asked.
I've seen those but wasn't sure how to use. Thanks a lot! I always use a teaspoon of oil on the grill when heating corn tortillas sounds like I don't need to.

Top Bottom