corn tortilla cracking problem

Joined Sep 13, 2020
good morning to everyone

i have an small tortilla and corn chips factory. we aue feed corn to make 6" corn tortilla and we face to a big problem.
generally we freeze the corn tortilla but our corn tortilla crack after defrosting.
we appreciate your professional guide to resolve this problem.
we attached a photo fr your reference
best regards,

Attachments

Joined Nov 27, 2012
were they made from masa or remade masa mix? how were they defrosted? have they been defrosted and frozen before?
That looks like coarse ground masa mix, we use them for frying where I am right now.
Super crispy once fried and useless for anything else.
they get like that when defrosted too fast and if they are left exposed to the air for too long.

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
You cannot control the defrosting process. Customers will defrost it however they see fit.

It could be so many things. Your corn is not nixtamalized properly, your freezing process is too fast/slow, your formula might be getting weighed up wrong, your masa is different from batch to batch, basically you need to figure out a small batch process that works and then only scale it up. Where are you located? You may want to form a small board of directors that will give advice. Looks like you need the expertise of a QR person who has experience in the area.

Joined Dec 18, 2010
The only time this happens with corn tortillas bought from my local tortillaris, the causal factor seem associated with condensation from being packaged warm.

Joined Sep 13, 2020
The only time this happens with corn tortillas bought from my local tortillaris, the causal factor seem associated with condensation from being packaged warm.
thanks for your reply.
we already tested both fully cooled and fully warm and etc to pack. all result is same. anyhow there are some shrinkage after defrosting even in original sealed package.

Joined Sep 13, 2020
You cannot control the defrosting process. Customers will defrost it however they see fit.

It could be so many things. Your corn is not nixtamalized properly, your freezing process is too fast/slow, your formula might be getting weighed up wrong, your masa is different from batch to batch, basically you need to figure out a small batch process that works and then only scale it up. Where are you located? You may want to form a small board of directors that will give advice. Looks like you need the expertise of a QR person who has experience in the area.
hi, we are located in Iran. actually we are the unique manufacturer of these items in iran and there are not so many experts!
you are right. nixtamalization have very important rules , but it seems that there are so many other factors which still affect this problem.

Joined Sep 13, 2020
thanks for your reply
we nixtamal the corn by ourselves and make dough. it happen most of the time in first defrosting. anyway, we can not control defrosting process as our customer do it differently. we have to find solution to prevent it.
wha is effect of fast freezing and slow freezing on tortilla and its shrinkage ?

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
I'll ask my wife the quick question. She did her dissertation on starches and is R&D director for a food company. Give me a few days.

Joined Nov 27, 2012

well that is true, but that was the first thing that came to my head as I've had the same exact issue over here.

Joined Nov 27, 2012
this tortillas look like the ones that we use for frying. they are super crisp but pretty much useless for anything else except tlayudas.

Any reason why you are usuing yellow corn instead of white?
Actually what kind or tortilla do you want to achieve? Soft, taco or for frying?

Joined Nov 27, 2012
I am in contact with the r&d director of mission foods over here in China, he might be able to figure out your problem as he has been working with all kinds of tortillas for the longest time. Send me your email by pm and I'll hook you up.

Top Bottom