Corn torillas - what am I missing???

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by cook-e, Jun 25, 2010.

1. cook-e

cook-e

Exp:
    Home Cook
    This seems so simple.. and, still  I'm stumped.  How is it that the "perfect" corn tortilla is supposed to have little bubbles rising up when they cook?  Thr recipe is only corn masa and water...there's no baking soda whatsoever in the mix. I've made several batches, and while they taste pretty good, I think they seem a bit "raw", even after cooking for about a minute each side.  And I never, ever, get bubbles.

What am I missing?  The corn masa I'm using does contain lime... if that helps.  I'm using a super-hot cast iron skillet that I've seasoned for HOURS. 

Any help would be most appreciated.

2. dc sunshine

dc sunshine

Exp:
    Other
    Maybe too much mix in the pan, or pan not hot enough, or both?  Maybe someone with more experience could chime in........

3. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Half the battle is rolling them thinly. Most corn tortillas are made with a press to get it nice and thin.

4. gunnar

gunnar

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I have yet to make a perfect looking tortilla. I just got a press from a yard sale and haven't seen if it makes any difference compared to using a rolling pin, yet. Been a little busy, The few times I have made them I got decent to great flavor and texture but the shape wasn't round exactly and it only kinda bubbled a bit. Thinner is better, it's just harder to remove off the plastic wrap or wax paper without tearing. best of luck.

5. chef tomain

chef tomain Banned

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Since corn meal has no natural glutton I cheat by add a little flour just enough as to no corrupt the tasted but just enough so the dough sticks together. I also add salt and pepper which gives them a best taste.

6. cook-e

cook-e

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Many, many thanks to everyone who gave advice!  Ruth