Corn Syrup Sub for Salt Water Taffy

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Corn Syrup is traditionally used in Salt Water Taffy recipes, however I am wanting to bring a Salt Water Taffy to our

holiday guests that are following a no corn syrup regime.  I considered Agave and Maple syrup but not sure of the boiling points.

Any suggestions? I am also open to a completley new item, if anyone has an idea for helthier confections

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Awesome!!Thank you chef! This recipe is for an Invert sugar and CAN be used as a substitute, I will definately try it!

Joined Apr 2, 2009
In general. As a graduated pastry cook, I was using it everywhere at school and at my externship, but those outside of the

pastry circle are demanding that this in particular be altered and there is no reasoning with them, so I don't want to say it can't be done,

even though I personally would put hfcs or corn syrup in anything before being confronted with this challenge!

Joined Jun 5, 2013
Yes regular corn syrup is different than High Fructose corn syrup, but there is a food allergy against anything with fructose in it, so the difference between the two doesn't matter.  It's still bad. (I know from experience)  As for the people trying to avoid corn, it may not necessarily be about whether its high fructose or not.

Top Bottom