Coriander

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by pete, Jul 29, 2005.

1. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    This year we let a bunch of our cilantro go to seed to harvest the coriander. We picked it a week ago and have been letting it dry, on the stem. This morning I cleaned all the seeds, and though the yield was rather small the stuff we got was awesome!!!! Some of the most flavorful coriander I have ever had. Can't wait to use it!

2. markv

markv

Pete:

Every year I plant a S***-load of cilantro and harvest the seeds. I love fresh coriander and use it in all sorts of rubs, chile, latin dishes, in poaching liquids, etc. etc. etc.

You mentioned picking it and then letting it dry. Do you pick it when the seeds are still green?

I leave mine on the plant until the seeds turn brown on their own and then harvest. But I'm curious about your method.

Mark

3. pete

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I harvest when the seed pods start to turn from green to brown. I don't let them go all the way as the rain and wind can get to them before I do. Just make sure the seeds are fully mature. I then pick them and hang them to finish drying. Two years ago I waited until too late to pull my dill plants and I am still pulling dill from every corner of my herb garden.

4. mudbug

mudbug

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    I was awaiting your methodology Pete. For anyone wanting to harvest seed for planting instead of spice, be sure to allow the seeds to dry naturally on the plant before harvesting.

I can't be completly sure from your wording but it sounds like you pick branches off the plant?

My suggestion: when 80% - 90% of the seeds on the plant are dry, simply uproot the entire plant and put in a brown paper bag to dry and keep dust free. Pull the seeds off the plant after a couple of weeks and store in a spice jar.

5. pete

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I pull the entire plant. I just don't wait until they are 100% dry before doing it. I use the same method when harvesting for spice or for reseeding and it has never failed me.