Core pear intact??

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by murph306, Mar 22, 2006.

1. murph306

murph306

Exp:
    At home cook
    hi, i am very new to this game, i moved away to uni this yr and have since got rather into this cooking business :D
    i am wanting to do a pear dessert this weekend, and most recipes i have read instruct to peel and core pear with stem intact. I was wondering how to core a pear without halfing it first :confused:
    please help!!

(i realise this may be a schoolboy question but i really cant think how)
    thanks

2. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Hello,
    Some people use a melon baller, this is a scoop, like an ice cream scoop without the release mechanism. Scoop out the seeds from the bottom.
    You can also do this with a small knife or a spoon. Basically remove the seeds from the bottom trying to leave as much of the pear intact.

3. murph306

murph306

Exp:
    At home cook
    thats a massive help thanks!
    i figured it must have been something simple like that

THANKS AGAIN :D

4. henry

henry

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Murph,

Besides the melon baller, you can also use the potato-peeler, the end that has the oval type edge. Just dig in there from the bottom of the pear and remove the core and seeds. After peeling it, take a small thin slice off the bottom of the pear, and it will stand up on your plate better.

Select pears that have a nice stem, and your presentation will be nice. What kind of pears are you doing?

h.

5. chrose

chrose

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Ahh Poached Pears! Always one of my favorite deeserts to make. I would challenge myself to come up with new ways to serve them. You can almost never go wrong with them. They are versatile and always elegant!

6. diane

diane

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    An apple corer can be useful too, so long as one doesn't get too enthusiastic.

7. jeebus

jeebus

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    ^^^well on a different note.....people still serve poached pears? I though they went out with smoked taradactyl breast.:D