Copyrighted material use on cakes

Discussion in 'Professional Pastry Chefs' started by brink, Jun 27, 2002.

1. brink

brink

I have seen an amazing number of cakes out there with copyrighted materials on them...examples being, Disney characters, Racing paraphanalia, Spiderman, etc.

My question is...when a decorator uses such images, without the use of edible images or licensed plastics, do they write for written permission? I know that many companies such as Disney do not give permission to duplicate images, mainly for quality reasons.

I wonder because on the images I have used that are copyrighted or trademarked etc., I do write the company for the permission or use the "approved" products for the images.

Are these decorators simply unaware of the legalities or are they just taking a risk? Also, if the images are illegal, why would you put a picture of it on a webpage?

I don't want to come across as agitator, I'm seriously curious.

Thank you!

2. fodigger

fodigger

There is a company out there called KopyKat I believe, They are based in Palos Verdes CA. They have made lisensing(sp) deals w/ alot of the major companies that has allowed them to reproduce the images on transfers that are used on cakes. So, made that is where they get the transfers.

3. fodigger

fodigger

Anyway it's hard to believe that they wouldn't be legal w/ something as blatant as that. I would hope anyway.

4. isa

isa

I think it is legal if you purchase the images or figures but you can not designed them yourself if you want to sell the cakes.

For example if you make a cake in a Mickey Mouse mould you can use it for your kids birthday but you can not sell it to someone else.