copyright questions

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by redace1960, Jun 12, 2005.

1. redace1960

redace1960

this ended up being a subject of some concern in another forum. this may not be the right category but it came up here. so..... what are the official cheftalk guidelines regarding posting material and copyright law?

2. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    The ChefTalk Community Guidelines are pinned at the top of the Welcome Forum. One of them states: That's pretty straightforward.

Basically, you may not copy material such as a recipe directly from its source into a post. You may post a link to material on another site, and you may paraphrase. But you may not quote verbatim -- not even if you give full and proper credit to the source.

Many books include a notice on the copyright page to the effect of "No part of this book may be used in any manner whatsoever without written permission except in the case of brief quotations embodied in critical articles and reviews." Wiley says: While in general my personal opinion of private property differs greatly from these sentiments, I strongly believe that it is theft to post copyrighted material without permission of the copyright holder -- probably because my friends who are professional food writers make almost nothing, and I hate to see them ripped off by the public as well as their publishers. :rolleyes: If I know that a member is violating the rule (for example, I've got the material being quoted), I will usually PM the member and ask him or her to reword the post. If that's not done, I will delete it (sorry, but that's the way it is).

Another site I've been involved with is owned by a (former) lawyer. You can be sure that that site is highly vigilant. :eek: We try to be, but trust our members to abide by the rules.

3. redace1960

redace1960

.........and thats the way it is, kids. thank you, suzanne!