Cool Recipe

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by cape chef, Jan 6, 2001.

1. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I found what I think is a pretty cool recipe by Mark Hopper. Mushroom "Bouillabaisse"
    Serves six,
    1/2 cup olive oil
    3 cloves garlic peeled and sliced
    2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
    1 teaspoon chopped lemon grass
    1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
    1 small red onion peeled and sliced
    2 small leeks,trimmed,sliced and sauteed
    1 plum tomato,peeled ,seeded and diced
    1# Oyster mushrooms cleaned and trimmed
    1 # brown clamshell mushrooms,cleaned and trimmed
    1 # white clamshell mushrooms,cleaned and trimmed
    1 # scallop mushrooms cleaned and caps removed
    21/2 tablespoons chopped dill
    S&P to taste
    For the Cucumber broth
    3 Tablespoons water
    1 teaspoon saffron threads
    1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
    3 cucumbers,peeled seeded and juiced
    S&P
    for the fennel
    1/4 cup olive oil
    1 fennel bulb,trimmed and sliced
    S&P
    For the garnish
    orange zest
    fennel fronds
    For the Bouillabaisse,Heat the oil add the garlic,crushed red pepper,lemon grass,fennel seeds,red onion and tomatoes,Saute 3 minutes add the shrooms and dill and saute about 5 minutes,season and set aside keeping warm.For the cucumber broth. bring the water to boil,lower the heat and maintain a simmer,add the saffron and cook 1 minute add the olive oil and cucumber juice,season and set aside keeping warm. for the fennel,saute in olive oil season and keep warm.to serve,spoon some bouillabaisse and cucumber broth into a bowl,place a slice of fennel next to the shrooms and garnish with orange zest and fennel fronds. Sounds pretty good Huh?
    I would drink a Pinot Noir with this
    cc

2. greg

greg

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Sounds great as an app or as a vegetarian entree'. How would you do it a la minute? I'm thinking that you could make the cucumber broth ahead of time, but it doesn't sound like it would do well keeping hot in the steamtable. The mushroom mixture I think would have to be done to order.

3. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Greg, I think if you have all the mis en place at your station for the broth, you can knock it out pretty quick. I would say that you can also par the shrooms and chill then finish to order
    cc

4. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    I don't know these shrooms are they another name for oyster mushrooms????? cultivated or wild

5. greg

greg

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    The only reason I'd want to do the mushrooms to order is I wouldn't want to chance losing any of the yummy juices that the mushrooms will release when cooked. As a matter of fact, I believe if that happened, I might cry right there on the line. I wouldn't want to try explaining that to the waitstaff; they just wouldn't understand!

6. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Shroomgirl, The Mushrooms are availible through Indian rock produce 800-882-0512
    I am not sure what family they are from so I don't want to give you incorrect info
    cc

7. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Shroomgirl

The brown and white clamshells are cultivated in Calif, "Nomiko's Farm"
    The top of the mushroom is turned up instead of down and it looks like a ipswitch clam shell. They are a hybrid, and has a woody,earthy flavor and stands up well to cooking, I have not been able to find the scallop mushroom anywhere but I haven't giving up yet. I also want to know the hybrids
    cc

8. chef david simpson

chef david simpson

Sounds good!!!