Cool Recipe

Joined Jul 31, 2000
I found what I think is a pretty cool recipe by Mark Hopper. Mushroom "Bouillabaisse"
Serves six,
1/2 cup olive oil
3 cloves garlic peeled and sliced
2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon chopped lemon grass
1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
1 small red onion peeled and sliced
2 small leeks,trimmed,sliced and sauteed
1 plum tomato,peeled ,seeded and diced
1# Oyster mushrooms cleaned and trimmed
1 # brown clamshell mushrooms,cleaned and trimmed
1 # white clamshell mushrooms,cleaned and trimmed
1 # scallop mushrooms cleaned and caps removed
21/2 tablespoons chopped dill
S&P to taste
For the Cucumber broth
3 Tablespoons water
1 teaspoon saffron threads
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
3 cucumbers,peeled seeded and juiced
S&P
for the fennel
1/4 cup olive oil
1 fennel bulb,trimmed and sliced
S&P
For the garnish
orange zest
fennel fronds
For the Bouillabaisse,Heat the oil add the garlic,crushed red pepper,lemon grass,fennel seeds,red onion and tomatoes,Saute 3 minutes add the shrooms and dill and saute about 5 minutes,season and set aside keeping warm.For the cucumber broth. bring the water to boil,lower the heat and maintain a simmer,add the saffron and cook 1 minute add the olive oil and cucumber juice,season and set aside keeping warm. for the fennel,saute in olive oil season and keep warm.to serve,spoon some bouillabaisse and cucumber broth into a bowl,place a slice of fennel next to the shrooms and garnish with orange zest and fennel fronds. Sounds pretty good Huh?
I would drink a Pinot Noir with this
cc

Joined Dec 8, 1999
Sounds great as an app or as a vegetarian entree'. How would you do it a la minute? I'm thinking that you could make the cucumber broth ahead of time, but it doesn't sound like it would do well keeping hot in the steamtable. The mushroom mixture I think would have to be done to order.

Joined Jul 31, 2000
Greg, I think if you have all the mis en place at your station for the broth, you can knock it out pretty quick. I would say that you can also par the shrooms and chill then finish to order
cc

Joined Aug 11, 2000
I don't know these shrooms are they another name for oyster mushrooms????? cultivated or wild

Joined Dec 8, 1999
The only reason I'd want to do the mushrooms to order is I wouldn't want to chance losing any of the yummy juices that the mushrooms will release when cooked. As a matter of fact, I believe if that happened, I might cry right there on the line. I wouldn't want to try explaining that to the waitstaff; they just wouldn't understand!

Joined Jul 31, 2000
Shroomgirl, The Mushrooms are availible through Indian rock produce 800-882-0512
I am not sure what family they are from so I don't want to give you incorrect info
cc

Joined Jul 31, 2000
Shroomgirl

The brown and white clamshells are cultivated in Calif, "Nomiko's Farm"
The top of the mushroom is turned up instead of down and it looks like a ipswitch clam shell. They are a hybrid, and has a woody,earthy flavor and stands up well to cooking, I have not been able to find the scallop mushroom anywhere but I haven't giving up yet. I also want to know the hybrids
cc

Latest posts

Top Bottom