Cooking with Wet Hops

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by orlandofoodjournal, Jul 19, 2018.

1. orlandofoodjournal

orlandofoodjournal

Exp:
    Food Writer
    I've come into a half pound of wet Cascade hops I'm going to use for some non-beer applications. I've come across mustard recipes and marinades that seem pretty safe bets. Risotto with hop shoots sounded the most enticing, but I only have the flower/cones. The aromas and flavors are very citrusy. Here is what I'm considering making, but I would welcome any input from anyone with more experience or a sense of direction. These recipes are merely from googling.

Mustard with Wet Hops: I'd either grate hops into the mustard or extract it into a liquid and use that. I'd prefer to use the actual hop material and not just an infusion. That said, I really like the vinegar infusion posted on here by Chrisbelgium and think that might work well here.

Deep fried hops: similar to how brussels sprouts can be deep fried, whole, just the plant into the oil. I'm not sure what oil temperature would be preferable, as these hops I have are not at all cruciferous.

Any hops recipes youve ever seen that you've really enjoyed or wanted to try?

2. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    Hop cones are VERY bitter regardless of how they smell...

Hop shoots are lime asparagus and I eat the cuttings off mine in spring.

Never heard of hop mustard either...

Extracting in simmering vinegar for 5 minutes max will keep the bitterness to a minimum, or better yet bring to a boil, then off the heat add hops and let it steep as it cools. That will extract flavor and aroma with minimal bitterness.

3. orlandofoodjournal

orlandofoodjournal

Exp:
    Food Writer
    I've recipes that suggest apple cider vinegar, white wine vinegar, but I really want to let the hop extraction come through. I was thinking of using rice vinegar. Is there a type you'd think best for this application?

4. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    I would choose the vinegar based on the desired flavor profile. The acidity is going to have little impact on extracting the hop flavor/aroma.