Cooking with truffles... ideas?

Joined May 28, 2015
All I can add is that I envy you. I absolutely adore them. Yes they go beautifully with eggs ...and chicken. You can infuse an egg with truffle scent by placing it (in shell) in the same container as the truffle.

I've only ever used as a garnish - they will lose flavour if cooked a lot, I think

Joined May 5, 2010
Sure. Hence the use of the quotes around the word. Kinda like chili oil and garlic oil if you want. But it's infused with the real stuff vs chemically flavored. In your post you would have us believe there was only the artificially flavored stuff. ;)

If you mean taking truffle shavings and soaking them in olive oil just as you would with chili's or garlic, than I suppose you could call it truffle oil. There is an artificial chemical that mocks the flavor of truffles as well. (2,4-dithiapentane.)

Joined Sep 5, 2008
If you mean taking truffle shavings and soaking them in olive oil
If you mean that's what I meant when I said "olive oil that was infused with real truffle shavings." then yes, that's what I meant.

I had to go on a trip so I passed on the truffles, understanding that I can't keep them fresh that long (I know I can freeze them but I'm sure they don't taste the same as fresh ones). I'll get fresh ones in 10 days and will keep this thread updated with whatever it is I decide to make with them! :)

Joined Sep 17, 2018
If you mean that's what I meant when I said "olive oil that was infused with real truffle shavings." then yes, that's what I meant.

I had to go on a trip so I passed on the truffles, understanding that I can't keep them fresh that long (I know I can freeze them but I'm sure they don't taste the same as fresh ones). I'll get fresh ones in 10 days and will keep this thread updated with whatever it is I decide to make with them! :)
I have had some luck chopping shavings and whipping with butter. They seem to hold pretty well this way and it can be used basically like a compound butter.

Top Bottom