Cooking with Rosemary

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by robsingh, Aug 31, 2012.

1. robsingh

robsingh

Exp:
    At home cook
    Hi all,

I think most of can agree that there's nothing like adding some fresh rosemary onto our dishes (e.g. lamb chops). Question is how do we avoid having to swallow the "thorny" bits? I would usually just put the entire sprig on the lamb, roast and the remove the sprig. Or if I've removed the stem and sprinkled the bits...later brush off the bits...leaving the aroma/taste added by the rosemary. 

In Gordon Ramsey's YouTube video () he just plates the dish with a load of rosemary still on the chop. Bits and the sprigs included.

Suggestions? Maybe I should finely chop the bits first? 

Thanks.

2. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    I have a large rosemary bush in my backyard and use it a lot for cooking. I believe you've answered your own questions with multiple suggestions already: you can remove the sprigs, or finely chop the leaves, or eat the whole leaves, etc...

When I make paella I insert a couple of rosemary sprigs and later remove the stems - the leaves have soften and will stay in the final dish. 

I've made that Gordon Ramsey baked pork chops recipe, and the leaves are not a problem - but IMO the stems are. You can choose to remove the stems and leave the leaves before plating, or leave everything, in which case each one probably puts the sprigs aside before eating. 

Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
  3. robsingh

robsingh

Exp:
    At home cook
    Hi FF,

I haven't yet Googled "paella" but you say the leaves soften enough where they aren't "thorny"? I suppose when roasting (e.g. lamb, pork chop....etc.) we have to either finely chop the leaves or use the entire sprig (placing them on top or below) and removing them when plating. 

Have yet to smoke springs when BBQing...will definitely try that later. 

Rosemary bush in your backyard? Nice. I guess you're from the south? (e.g. California? Texas?) Love to have a herb garden in my backyard. 

4. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Yes I'm in southern california. Rosemary grows like a weed. Just make sure you get the right kind (there are several kinds that can be eaten, but several other kinds that are for decoration only). 

In paella the rosemary softens in the cooking liquid. 

5. robsingh

robsingh

Exp:
    At home cook
    Hi FF, 

I'm living in LA right now. A neighbor up the street has a rosemary bush. I'm from the east-coast. Not the best place to grow herbs (e.g. winter months). 

Will one day try a Paella recipe or two. Never made Spanish dishes. 

Have a good weekend.

6. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Paella is delicious, you'll have to try it!! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/licklips.gif

7. margcata

margcata Banned

Exp:
    Food Writer
    Some other Mediterranean Rosemary Herb Suggestions:

1) Milk fed baby Lamb

2) Focaccia with Extra virgin olive oil & rosemary herb

3) Provençal Chicken with Provençal Herbs: rosemary, thyme, orégano, parsley and a pinch of diced fresh Mint  

4) The exterior rind of Fresh Goat Cheese Varieties ( it is very common to buy Spanish Goat Cheese with Rosemary Herb on the Exterior Part of the Cheese as Goat Cheese has a very minimal Soft Rind ).

5) Breast of Veal Roast

On Valencia, Spain Paellas:

*** I have never encountered rosemary herb in Paella in Valencia or any other part of Spain and have been here 20 years.

We employ: 15 saffron threads soaked in 1 cup of boiled hot water for 20 minutes, Salt, black pepper freshly ground, a pinch of sugar, tomatoes, white wine, Olive Oil, onion, bell pepper red julienne, arborio round Valencian Rice, shellfish, fish, fish  or shell fish stock, chicken optional, pork optional, butter beans optional, and it is very minimally spiced with parsley, thyme and orégano.   

*** In Valencian Paella:  chicken, saffron, salt, black freshly ground pepper, Olive Oil, White Wine or Sherry, Spanish sweet sausage, butter beans, onion, red bell pepper, green olives with red pointy peppers stuffed in the interior, onion, garlic, chicken stock or vegetable stock and rabbit  ( which my family and I avoid all fur bearing mammals ) and / or feathered game.

Have lovely Labor Day Wkend.

Marge.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2012
  8. kippers

kippers

Exp:
    Home Cook
  9. margcata

margcata Banned

Exp:
    Food Writer
    Kippers,

Burgos is a lovely historical small city in October or May when it is not too freezing cold. It has awfully long long winters.  

In all honesty, my system prefers Shellfish and Seafood fideuà with vermecelli noodles  Barcelona style verses Paella  unless the rice is Caldoso, meaning Rice in shellfish stock, which is very typical in Alicant verses the Valencian Paella.  

Have you taste tested Burgos Morcilla = Black Blood Sausage stuffed with onion and rice; also called Black Pudding ?

Thank you for posting your link however, my family and I avoid fur bearing mammals.  

Have nice wkend.

Marge.

10. sparkie

sparkie

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I have no problem eating the leaves(I assume this is the thorny bits you are talking about, rosemary has no thorns), dry or moist methods, they soften up just fine. Chopping the leaves is perfectly acceptable, but you may want to use a little less since this helps it to release more oils. Some other techniques I use.. sautee a sprig in oil, remove it, then continue to build your dish. I do this mostly for pasta e fagioli and Ceci soup, but the oil could be used to sautee a pork cutlet.. Combine EVO, parsley, lemon zest, chopped garlic, and a few sprigs of rosemary. Use the sprigs to brush grilled fish.

11. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    A little help here once again please Marg.

Could you please define:

fideuà (I could not find a translation)

Alicant or Alicante: from wikipedia (Google translate once again did not know this word) Alicante (Spanish: [aliˈkante]) or Alacant (Valencian: [alaˈkant])[1] is a city in Spain, the capital of the province of Alicante and of the comarca of Alacantí, in the south of the Valencian Community

TIA,

k~girl

12. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Hello K-girl. There's no translation for FIDEUÁ. It's kind of a paella made with special angel hair noodles. In Spanish, FIDEO = NOODLE.

Check here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fideuà

You can find some youtube videos. I like this one:

13. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    You should give it a try someday - it works wonderfully. I'll have to try parsley/thyme/oregano though, that sounds great too. All fresh herbs I suppose? 

14. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    okay, so fideuà is paella in what language then? Google translate could not find it

15. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Apparently some sort of paella with noodles instead of rice: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fideuà

16. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Lemon, garlic and rosemary is a classic flavor combination. Excellent on pork, poultry, and lamb.

Red wine and rosemary makes for many tasty braises.

Rosemary's flavors stand up well on the grill too.

I'd lean towards a fine chop or leaving the leaves large so they can be easily avoided. One or the other.

17. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    I often boil potatoes, cut them in half, brush with olive oil, sprinkle S&P and finely chopped rosemary. Then grill cut-side down to get a nice crust and sexy grill marks. A quick side dish for any grilled meat!

18. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I use more dried than fresh and grind, pound, bash, however you want to look at it,

in my mortar and pestle, basically to a powder and sprinkle on whatever. 

Roasted potatoes: EVOO, Sea Salt and fresh cracked Black Pepper & Rosemary dust ...

YUM!  Is it dinner time yet?

19. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    The rosemarinus I've found overlooking Bolinas in Northern California is well worth the taking.  A sprig laid on a chicken breast or over the whole fowl...  Heaven.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2012
  20. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I grow Arp rosemary as it will take my zone 5 winters.