Cooking with Brie

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by shawtycat, Mar 14, 2002.

1. shawtycat

shawtycat

Exp:
    Ive bought some Brie and have no idea what to do with it. Ive heard people ranting and raving over this stuff and would like to know what to use this with. Ive already found out that it doesnt go very well with Ritz Crackers or Stuffed Shells (as a substitute for Mozzarella).

Thanks

2. jim berman

jim berman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Warm it, gently(!), and serve with any assortment of fruits. I like sliced pears and a smear of lingonberries or raspberry coulis (glorified raspberry jelly... kind of).
    Also try dredging it in flour, egg wash and then almonds and bake until oooey-goooey. Or omit the almonds and use fresh bread crumbs and pan fry it.
    When I had chunks left over from catered events that had cheese boards, I would remove the skin from the brie and melt it into a maccaronni 'n cheese sauce. Yum!
    For parties, buy a whole wheel and wrap it (with care) in phyllo and bake, tucking some fruit preserves between the layers of dough. Serve with crisps or other hard cracker. Swedish flatbreads are great with brie... look for them in a high-end groccery store or ethnic market.
    Most importantly, I can't think of any time when you want to serve brie cooler than room temperature. Most cheeses, if not all, develop their flavors at room temperature and slightly above.
    Hope this helps!

3. chiffonade

chiffonade

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    ...Wrap it in phyllo dough after studding it with walnuts and cinnamon. Bake. Let it rest at least 20 minutes or the cheese will still be liquid and come oozing out of the pastry casing.

I love brie on a great sandwich like smoked turkey, sun dried tomatoes, lettuce and brie on a real semolina roll.

4. alexia

alexia

Luscious suggestions. Hip builders all.

Shawtycat, Just remember if you intend to just use it on crackers it should be ripe to be really good. If you're limited to supermarkets you may not be able to find it. A good cheesemonger would have it. It should be at room temperature when serving

I tend to buy it a few days early and sometimes leave it out overnight (my house is cool) to hasten the ripening. I like it a bit oozy.

5. shawtycat

shawtycat

Exp:
    Ripe?? My cheese isn't ripe?? I bought it from the supermarket and it is the texture of mozzarella. Isnt that the way it is supposed to look....kinda like an eraser with a little blue in it? :confused: I didnt think cheese could be confusing. How do you ripen this stuff?? I dont think I have a cheesemonger.

6. jim berman

jim berman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    That is a unique way to describe it. I am wondering, however, about that "blue" you speak of. Did you pick up Brie or saga blue? I can't recall brie with anything blue in/on it. It should be creamy white/off white with a fuzzy 'skin'.
    [​IMG]

7. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Geez Jim,

Is that the brie that ate manhatten?

IMHO,

Like Alexia said...go to a cheese house, buy the best you can, be sure to buy it ripe, let it rest an hour or more at room temp.

Relax, slice some pears, maybe some procuitto...some good olives and quality bread.

A glass (or more) of a nice herbal, softed oaked white wine and thats all you need.

Shawty cat, try to enjoy a fine brie as it was intended to be enjoyed. with very little fuss
    cc

8. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    Dear Shawty Cat:

Relax. (We don't want that new little one to pop out too soon.) Cheese is just another food, and should be enjoyed, not cause for alarm.

What gets sold in the supermarket as "brie" can range from the real thing (food for the gods) down to, yes, pencil-erasers. the hallmarks of a good brie are just as Jim and everyone else said:
    -- Ripe, which means on the soft side, maybe a little oozy, but not totally liquid. It also means having a slightly pungent smell, but definitely NOT smelling like ammonia!
    -- Pale to light golden yellow on the inside, with a white slightly (only slightly!) fuzzy skin on the outside. That skin is edible. If it is grayish, the inside is probably over-ripe (ammonia alert!) and you don't want to eat it. Period.
    -- NOT blue! As mentioned, Saga is a lot like brie, but with mold injected. If it was called "brie" but it's blue, something is wrong! Well, probably, not anything that will hurt you, but just pass it along to your hubby to eat (actually, it would be good melted on some portabello caps as a mushroom-cheese burger).

The main thing is, to paraphrase Duke Ellington, "If it tastes good, it IS good." My favorite way to eat brie is to let it come to room temperature and get kind of soft, then slather it on some good French or Italian bread and eat it with a cut-up pear. It's that simple. (I'm assuming you're skipping the wine these days.) If it tastes too strange to you, or smells really ugly, it will not be a sin to dump it.

As for a "cheesemonger" -- look around your area for a supermarket like Whole Foods, or a fancy specialty store. The prices won't actually be that much higher, but more important, there will be people there who KNOW SOMETHING about what cheese should and should not be. It always helps to buy from somebody who knows what they're selling!

Cheese is just another of life's great pleasures to be enjoyed (in moderation, of course; and in spite of what Markdchef might say!);)

(Sorry to run on so long, but it's after dinner and we split a bottle of Sangiovese from the Finger Lakes. hic :blush: )

9. chef brian

chef brian

Here is a tasty way to use that brie of yours. If you are ever up for creating some yummy "california" style pizza one great recipe is brie, asperugus, shallots and a little white wine butter. These flavors work very well with one another and make a different but very yummy pizza. I have also seen this pizza done with a bit of smoked salmon

As mentioned by some of the other chef's, brie is a soft cheese and very sutiable for a cheese tray complimented by crackers, a crusty loaf of French Bread and some fruit such as grapes, strawberries and apples.

Good luck with your brie ;-)

10. svadhisthana

svadhisthana

Grilled turkey burger with brie and grilled apple (granny smith) slices.

A note: Pregnant women should consult their M.D.'s about the consumption of soft cheeses.

11. shawtycat

shawtycat

Exp:
    Thanks Svad, I'll definately ask my ob aout the cheese first. Then Ill head back to the supermarket for the actual Brie you guys have told me about. Mine really does have a blueish tinge to the rind.

And Suzanne, I have to confess, I grew up in Barbados and have never had wine. All I know is Guiness. :blush: You'll have to recommend some to me.

12. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Jim, that's a hefty wheel of brie...:)

With regard to soft cheeses during pregnancy, the general rule is, if it is imported, and made from unpasteurized milk, soft cheeses are definitely out. That, unfortunately, leaves out many wonderful cheeses...:(

(They advise that women stay away from all blue cheeses, feta, brie, and camembert when pregnant. )

13. shawtycat

shawtycat

Exp:
    I dont know about the feta....Ive been having cravings for it with my salad along with anchovies. Its amazing the things you will eat when you are pregnant. Ive gone through a jar of peanut butter a week since starting this trimester.:blush:

Sigh...I guess I have a lot to talk about during my next ob checkup.

14. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    I accidentally (;) ) consumed some forbidden cheeses, and my little fetus is just fine. Definitely discuss it with your OB though.

15. isa

isa

How about a brie truffle? :lips:

16. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    Isa, please define!!!!!

17. isa

isa

A truffle made with brie and dark chocolate. :lips:

18. marmalady

marmalady

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    For summertime, when you can get absolutely gorgeous ripe tomatoes!

Slice tomatoes into 1/4 inch slices and put on a baking sheet. Place under broiler for 2-3 minutes, then remove and put a dollop of pesto on the tomato, cover with a slice of brie, and run under broiler again til the cheese melts.

19. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Marmalady, all the Italians just went yuk! Must of run out of the mozz.LOL
    Dumb, I know, but what are the momies avoiding? bacteria?

20. mambochef

mambochef

Good day, Panini-

You've got it right. The Campylobateriosis pathogen is found in unpasturized milk products as well as some staph and salmonella strains. The problem is that the unborn child and mother share a common blood supply and the child's immune system is not developed. Adults can often ingest some of these pathogens and through years of expsure to small amounts, build up a resistance.

The soft cheeses have a higher moisture content which makes them a fairly ideal breeding ground for potential hazardous bacteria.

Anyhow- I guess I'm glad I took those notes in Sanitation class!