Cooking with a diffuser

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by loomchick, Sep 22, 2017.

1. loomchick

loomchick

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Five years ago I finally got a gas stove (Woohoo!) and I can't believe I waited so long. There are so many things I love about it over electric . . . except for one thing . . . simmering something on a very low setting.

One of my burners has a 'melt' setting and the flame barely shows. Unfortunately, I'm still unable to simmer something for a lengthy period of time. I recently purchased a diffuser to use on top of the burner. It's better, but still too hot.

I can go the direction of the oven or a slow cooker, but there are times I prefer stove top. I'm interested in some insight others may have about what I could do. Also, are diffusers created equal? I had someone tell me a copper diffuser would work better. Someone told me to stack two diffusers, but that doesn't seem like a good idea.

I want to come up with a better solution since I have a tagine I want to cook with, but I don't want to damage it. I thought a tagine was used in the oven, but I've been told it should be used over the heat source.

2. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    For gas, I use a rock as a diffuser. I found a thick flat stone about the size of a dinner plate. This I place right on the gas burner.....on low, of course, There's enough oxygen to keep the gas at flame and the stone heats up slowly, (on low)

3. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Simmering is about matching the volume of the food to the heat source. But the heat source is a lot easier to control. To me it sounds like you're cooking smaller volumes than your heat sources can handle. Multiple diffusers will do it anda cooking Stone would be fine. Iif you have a large cast iron skillet your tagine will fit in you can use that instead or couple that with your diffuser and that's all worth trying.

4. loomchick

loomchick

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Thanks for the suggestion! I'll look for a rock.

5. loomchick

loomchick

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Thanks! I appreciate the feedback. it gives me some options to work on.