Cooking Trout

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by pj, Dec 1, 2000.

1. pj

pj

I need a good recipe for cooking trout. I bought two 1-pound trouts without the heads. I would like to fix it with a yummy sauce. And, maybe stuff it with a crabmeat filling. And, can I remove the pin bones with tweezers? I hate bones! Does anyone have a yummy recipe to share? PJ

2. pj

pj

Thank you, I will fix the trout tonight. The method and recipe you suggested sounds great. I am trying to get the family off eating so much red meat, and go for fish more. But I have not served fish too much; I need help in that department. If I do serve fish it is usually shellfish, only because of not dealing with bones. I almosted choked once years ago on bones from a bass. I have been leary of trying fish with bones since then. But, I love fish, and I need to serve it more. Thanks again for the reply. PJ

3. greg

greg

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    It is possible to purchase trout boneless. Next time, tell your fish person you want trout fillets PBO, v-cut. PBO means pin bone out, v-cut refers to how they de-bone the fillet. Chrose is right about the size of any bones you'll find in a trout fillet, they're not big enough to worry about. Given your past experiences, though, you may want to try this cut.
    As far as how to prepare it, take the fillets off the skin, spread some crab staffing (or a crab mousse) on each fillet, roll up and steam over some court bouillon. Serve with a beurre blanc.

4. pj

pj

Dear Greg,

Now this sounds good. I am so afraid of bones as I have said. Unfortunately, the trout I bought was old and smelly. I had to take it back to the store. They didn't have more trout. So, I still haven't prepared any recipe yet with trout. But, I am taking your suggestion to the Fresh Seafood guy, and see if I can get it de-boned as you suggested. The less bones the better as far as I am concerned. I really do have a fear of bones. My experience really left me traumatized. We didn't suffer too much from not having trout though, the butcher gave me fresh lobster at a discount because of the bad fish he sold me. They were alive and kicking, so I knew it was fresh! We did enjoy that last night. It is one of my favorite things.

[This message has been edited by PJ (edited 12-02-2000).]

5. greg

greg

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Post the recipe, CWK! Nothing wrong with old recipes, just old fish.

6. pj

pj

I like the idea of apple-stuffing. I will be tuned in to see the recipe too; when you find it. I still would like to fix the trout once some fresh comes in. But you know any good fish would be good with a stuffing I suppose. PJ

7. pj

pj

Hey, CWK

Walnuts sounds good too. I just ran across a recipe in Epicurean Magazine for fish that looks interesting. It is "Macadamia Nut Crusted Mahi Mahi with Mango/Pineapple salsa. Now that sounds good. Don't know the bone content of this type fish, but the picture sure looks good. My stomach sorta turned with that bad trout I had bought. But, I am not giving up on it. So, meanwhile think I will try this recipe. Looking forward to the apple-stuffing recipe (if you find it) and if you don't that's okay too. Meanwhile I have been making batches of Julie's bearnaise sauce. Got to start watching my weight with all the delicious steaks and bearnaise sauce I have been consumming. Not to mention the Christmas cookies I have been baking and sampling along the way. I do love to cook, but it sure can get expensive for the home cook. My husband says I need to stop watching the Food Channel, and Discovery channel(Great chefs etc) But, then again he eagerly awaits mealtime around here. He says he would rather eat my cooking anytime than eat out. But, I remind him the "cook" needs a night off once in awhile. Ha! Listen thanks again, and keep searching. Appreciate your interest in my trout fixing efforts. Did you happen to catch the program on Julie Child's career? It was interesting. She is an icon to be sure. I taped the show because I couldn't watch all of it when it was being telecast.
    Bye for now, PJ

8. pj

pj

Hey Jessie, Now that is a neat idea. Could you do this to the fish, and then put a crust on it, like rolling it in walnuts, or Hazelnuts and cornmeal. Something like that after you do the boiling method? I am always looking for a way around bones. PJ

9. pj

pj

Thank you CWK,

You must have been entering the recipe here while I was responding to your previous message. Thanks a lot. I get the idea. And sorry you are rushed so. Appreciate you finding it for me. PJ

10. pj

pj

Dear Bill,

That sounds good. That is the way I was thinking about coating fish with the crushed peacans and breadcrumbs, and I thought maybe even parsley to coat. I am certainly getting more ideas to try at last. Thank you again for taking the time to find out the different methods of cooking trout, or even haibut etc. Next week I am going to the store and get the fresh fish; I think the guys said Tueday's were delivery day for fresh fish. I sure will make it a point to smell the fish this time before letting him wrap it up. We have a new fish store that opened up here in Cincinnati. But, I heard it is quite expensive. Might just drop by and see how their prices run. Thank you again, PJ

11. layjo

layjo

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    Good sugesstions from above! One way I've prepared trout before: Take the PBO Trout fillets (skin on) and rub all over with olive oil or clarified butter. Sprinkle lightly with cajun-style seasoning (as if using salt and pepper to season). Then grill the trout on both sides on a hot oiled grill, making nice grill marks on the presentation side. More than likely the trout should finish cooking very fast on the grill ( because of the thinness of the fillets).
    As for the sauce: I took some tomatoes, peeled onion (cut in half), and jalapeno peppers; and charred them on the grill till they were (black and blistery). Then chopped the the veggies into smaller chunks and put in a blender and puree till almost smooth (a little texture was ok). Next took a pot and sauteed some chopped garlic in vegetable oil until a garlic aroma was apparent, and added the puree to the sizzling garlic and oil. I then added some chicken stock to fortify and flavor. Simmered for about 10 minutes, then proceeded to add some fresh chopped cilantro, cooked crawfish-tail meat, season with salt and pepper. I ladeled a band of the sauce across the trout (I didn't cover with the sauce, that way you could taste the crisp texture and see the grill marks) Hope this helps any!

[This message has been edited by layjo (edited 12-13-2000).]

12. pj

pj

Katz, Sorry for taking so long to respond to your recipe. Thank you very much. I have been fighting a nasty cold, and haven't been doing much cooking. But I am filing your recipe for when I feel up to cooking again. This darn cold won't let go. PJ

13. pj

pj

Layjo, Thank you for your recipe. I am so thrilled with all the responses to my trout recipe. This recipe sounds great too. I will have fun fixing different recipes with different types of fish once I shake this darn miserable cold. PJ