Cooking Soundtrack

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by mikeenplace, Mar 4, 2013.

1. mikeenplace

mikeenplace

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Two things make my world go round. They are cooking and music.  I have certain music I play before I get to my kitchen. It puts me in the right frame of mind. It takes me to a place that I know and am comfortable with. My playlist is as follows:

The Imperial March

Firestorm by Earth Crisis 

I Was A Teenage Anarchist by Against ME!

Gimme Shelter by The Stones

I Wanna Be Sedated by The Ramones

Prickly Thorn, But Sweetly Worn by The White Stripes

This Fire by Killswitch Engaged

Playgirl '70 - Shake #2 by Piero Piccioni

Radioactive by Imagine Dragons

Just to name a few, I have a 1 hour commute...one way.  

My fellow brethren, do you listen to music to (for lack of a better term) put you in the mood? If so, what is in your wheelhouse?

jaredstone likes this.
  2. mikeenplace

mikeenplace

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Oh...

and

Cult of Personality by Living Color

3. thecytochromec

thecytochromec

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    This is what I listened to last week. Probably some more punk rock for this week.

Recipe for hate - bad religion
    Rise and fall of ziggy stardust and the spiders from mars - David Bowie
    I heard the suck live(live) - NOFX

4. squirrelrj

squirrelrj Banned

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    Tiny Dancer- Elton John

5. lagom

lagom

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    On my way to work( the bus and train then a 5 min walk) I stream the Bob and Tom show from American radio. Once in the kitchen it is truley a mix bag. Today we started with pre 1980 ZZ Topp, shifted to Notorious BIG for an hour, Muddy Waters and Howeling Wolf followed and then to a random Spotify play list that at one point went from Ricky Nelson Garden Party to Shake it by M&M and Nate Dogg. Most of the staff is a generation younger than me but really enjoy the different music they hear at work when I put on the music.

6. thetincook

thetincook

Exp:
    Line Cook
    I'm no longer allowed to touch the radio after the Van Halen incident of 2012 :/

7. junglist

junglist

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    If I know I'm in for a rough service or I'm going to work with certain individuals that stress me out, I like to jam out to some harder hitting/angry/emo music on my commute to work. Otherwise I have a huge spectrum I rely on.

In the kitchen what I play depends on the shift and the people I'm working with (I used to DJ so I know how to play to the crowd, kind of like cooking). I'm so happy to work in a kitchen again that allows music, it just makes people more lively, productive, and raises morale. It's always nice too when the waitresses come through and bust a groove /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smiles.gif

8. kostendorf

kostendorf

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    i work now in salzburg austria and the radio here sucks unless you are a 14 year old girl or a 60 year old oma listening to traditonal rum-pa-pa. so it is my kitchen and i listen to much classic rock mostly canadian bands it is what i grew up with.  while on my way to work with the train or bike i like to listen to the sounds around me.  the austrians talking, the sounds of the city.  to me it is relaxing and i am  able to plan my day while doing this.

9. mikeenplace

mikeenplace

Exp:
    Line Cook
    I've found that I get more focused when I have piss and vinager running through my veins during a service. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a hot head by any means, it's more of a, "I'll show YOU!!!" reaction. 

My kitchen used to allow music but they put an end to that which does suck. I agree, as long as everyone can be heard I see no reason to not ave music playing.  It adds to the mood and the life of the kitchen. So as a kind of FU, us cooks started singing together. 

10. mikeenplace

mikeenplace

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Th Van Halen incident of 2012. This I gotta hear. 

11. pancake house

pancake house

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    My kitchen doesn't allow music after an unfortunate Sunday morning when the chef came in an a dishwasher had dane cook cranked.

I love music in the kitchen for a simple reason: a song is about 4 minutes long. If 3 go by, check your food - it's probably burning.

Now I spend my shifts playing "who'd win in a fight" or "would you rather"

12. mikeenplace

mikeenplace

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Who would win in fight? Mr. T or Clubber Lang?

13. smork

smork

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    boondox radio on pandora seems to keep me rolling.   other then that in my kitchen the spanish ompa seems to keep my staff on the same level.   funny to have my tunes on for a little bit on the shift change.   i will let it go as long as i can.   i will litterally stand by the radio and watch the staff be all uncomfortable and choppy,saying they dont mind my music,then turn the station and they all will just fall into line and come together.   quite interesting to watch.

14. mikeenplace

mikeenplace

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Currently commuting to

Bathroom Laughter by Pissed Jeans

first of the year by skrillex 

sail by awolnation

glorified g by pearl jam

15. pancake house

pancake house

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    Mr. T

He never lost a fight, even with cancer.

Would you rather go on a moonlight stroll holding hands with Michael Jackson, or full body massage on Louie Anderson?

jaredstone likes this.
  16. thecytochromec

thecytochromec

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    Easy! Full body massage by Louie. You at least know what you're getting...

jaredstone likes this.
  17. pancake house

pancake house

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    You aren't receiving the massage.

18. thecytochromec

thecytochromec

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    So I see! Glad it wasn't a contract. In that case I'd go for the same person for the same reason.

19. mikeenplace

mikeenplace

Exp:
    Line Cook
    *PAUSE*...let me hold those mental images for but a moment. Okay.

Holding hands with Jackson under a moonlight stroll. I imagine Jackson being gentle and womanly, if I close my eyes and go to a happy place it might not be so bad. Then again, my dishwasher  is this old guy from DR who doesn't speak a word of english and also thinks its the funniest on earth to show everyone his pubes at random.

20. rat

rat

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Of course you need to have "east bound and down" by jerry reed.

Whenever anyone is whining I have some sad violin music cued up and we start to play it lol.