Cooking Range Recommendations

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by Ying Liang, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Ying Liang

Ying Liang

Exp:
    professional cake topper
    I needs to buy a cooker for home use, it's going to be used for Chinese cooking so the gas needs to be strong and also need to bake cakes, so I wanted to get a dual fuel.

Can anyone recommend a cooker? I always find the gas is not very strong in the UK, but i don't know if that's the supply or the cooker. Please can you help?

My budget is £1000

Thanks

Ying

2. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    From what I've seen in the US at least your price range won't support dual fuel. I'd look at induction as well for high output for Chinese stir frying. Europe has better choices in that than the US does but again that's usually more expensive.

For your budget you might do better to buy a dedicated Wok induction burner and then a regular electric range.

Sharonne Mundy likes this.
  3. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    I just transitioned from gas to induction.

The problem with induction is that the instant you lift your pan from the cooktop, the pan is no longer heated. So if you do a lot of lifting, shaking, sautéing etc... you will probably have to readjust your gestures.

millionsknives likes this.
  4. someday

someday

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I'm confused...if you take your pan off of a gas burner it is no longer heated either. It's not like the pan doesn't retain heat...

5. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Not take the pan off the burner – just lift. On a gas burner I can lift the pan slightly, tilt it to spoon off some fat to baste, shake the pan, sautée stuff... without having much impact on the way the pan is heated. With induction, the instant the pan is no longer in perfect contact with the cooktop, it's no longer heated.

I can actually feel/see a big difference while cooking and have had to adapt my methods a bit.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
  6. someday

someday

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I've used induction many times and never noticed much of a difference. I understand what you're saying though.

7. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    I think it's more noticeable when the heat is on high. For example when sautéeing potatoes on high heat. With gas I could sauté and sauté until the cows come home, but with induction I sauté once or twice and quickly put the pan back flat against the cooktop so that it doesn't lose any heat.

8. The Nosey Chef

The Nosey Chef

Exp:
    Home cooks
    A gas range for £1000 is a tall order. I would see what you can do with Britannia. Available from John Lewis.