Cooking Pork Chops Question

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by mrdecoy1, Mar 26, 2013.

1. mrdecoy1

mrdecoy1

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Hi I made some garlic confit in olive/grape seed oil, warmed the pan with the oil, then brushed it all over my pork chops then put in the pan. Cooked it and I couldn't taste anything resembling garlic. What should I do different next time to really taste that garlic oil? 

2. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Strange, it didn't taste like garlic at all?  When I make a roast pork I cut slits all over and insert garlic slivers and that does the job.  But with pork chops you're better off making a sauce with garlic and serving that on top as you plate. 

3. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    When I want a meat to really taste garlicky, I fry (not confit) a lot of not too thin sliced cloves until light brown, and pour them over the meat just before serving. I use sunflower oil, because of its neutrality. At this very moment I'm cooking some roasted pork ribs. Will prepare the garlic and post a pick.

4. foodlover42

foodlover42

Exp:
    Private Chef
    Alternatively, you could roast the pork chops just brushed with canola oil, and then brush the finished chops with the roasted garlic oil.  Should bring plenty of flavor without overwhelming the natural pork chop.  For an extra kick of garlic, take a whole clove, smash it with the skin still on, and just place the little "skin and crushed garlic" package directly on top of the chop before roasting.  After roasting, peel the skin off with your knife or whatever, and simply spread the roasted garlic all over the chop like its compound butter. 

Just a few thoughts...

5. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Here's what I do (and recommend): 

Forget about your garlic confit oil. Just use normal olive oil. Don't brush the chops, just pat them dry. 

Film a COLD pan with olive oil. Smash a few garlic cloves until they break apart and put them in the oiled pan. THEN place the pan on LOW heat for a bit so the garlic infuses in the oil. When the garlic starts becoming a bit golden, add the chops and fry. You can either remove the garlic and turn the heat up, or leave the garlic and continue cooking on medium-low or something... for even more garlic flavor. 

FWIW I usually also put fresh thyme in the oiled pan before heating it. 

6. gladys kravitz

gladys kravitz

Exp:
    Married To A Chef
    I find that pork chops are best made with Shake N Bake. They really have the seasoning nailed.

7. iceman

iceman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    WOW.   That was a point blank, honest reply.  My only problem is that it was said before I could say it.  I like you Gladys. 

8. home plate

home plate

Exp:
    Home Chef
    The not-so-sad thing about that is, it's true.  Very often we labor long and hard in the kitchen, preparing our own specialties, when someone's already gone through the trouble to...as Gladys said..."nail it."

9. gladys kravitz

gladys kravitz

Exp:
    Married To A Chef
    I know what I like.

10. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I hardly think that pouring a box of pre-packaged processed food substance all over a pork chop will help with the OP's dilemma of imparting garlicky flavor in his dish.  /img/vbsmilies/smilies/confused.gif

11. gladys kravitz

gladys kravitz

Exp:
    Married To A Chef
    I did not ever say that it would help. I just stated my opinion. Please pay attention.

12. gungasim

gungasim

Exp:
    At home cook
    i have to agree with you koukouvagia shake and bake seems to be the lazy way to go 

13. gladys kravitz

gladys kravitz

Exp:
    Married To A Chef
    What's with the personal attacks? Can't a girl have an opinion?

14. dutch oven

dutch oven

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Doesn't shake & bake have MSG in it?

15. gungasim

gungasim

Exp:
    At home cook
    im not attacking you Gladys, panko and spices work just as well and you can control the sodium

16. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    , My new menu Item, I bet they come running to the Restaurant

Dbl Cut Free Range Pork Chop lightly dusted with Shake N Bake cooked to perfection, served with creamy Velveeta Macaroni and cheese, Canned corn and Flaky Pillsbury Crescent rolls....Save room for Dessert we have Table Talk pies, or Creamy Twinkies......................The Chef will refrain from seasoning this meal, he/she figures you already have your limit of sodium for the week.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  17. boar_d_laze

boar_d_laze

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Ora -- one of the best Southern cooks I ever knew -- used slightly doctored Dixie Fry for pork chops and for fried chicken as well. 

BDL

18. gladys kravitz

gladys kravitz

Exp:
    Married To A Chef
    My mistake. Thank you.

19. gladys kravitz

gladys kravitz

Exp:
    Married To A Chef
    You are very funny. Thank you for making me smile today.

20. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    This is little pork chop walking with his dad ( What about Bob).......Little pork chop is going to a Mexican Fiesta, but that's another story.............if you want your pork chops to taste like garlic, I guress I could start feeding pork chop garlic now, but, I don't think he will make many friends if I did that.

instead I take the pork chops and brine them,  if you would like you can inject them and let them sit over night........we are talking dbl cut, not the see through ones at the mkt, something like these I cut...........

see the nice crust on the fat and the juicy pork chop

If you get pork like this, brine it, baste it with whatever you like, I use apple juice to keep the outside from drying out, you won't worry about garlic............

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013