Cooking peacock

Joined Dec 24, 2016
Well I have some friends that have a peacock they want dispatched they said if I did it I could cook it only problem is I have now Idea how
What temp should I cook it to
What do I season it with
How do I butcher it
What are some recipes
What does it taste like
I'm assuming that the answer to all these questions is to treat it like a lean turkey any help would be much appreciated
I collect old cooking books so tomorrow before work I think I'm gonna take a look and see if they are any help if I find a recipe I will share it here

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
I've never cooked peacock before, but doing a quick bit of research it is a lean meat so you want to keep it moist and not overcook it.  There are a number of recipes for roasting it, but I'm wondering if you might not want to treat it more like you would treat an old rooster and possibly braise it.  This way it stays moist and, depending on the age of the bird, can tenderize it as people who own peacocks tend to let them roam pretty freely so they could be pretty tough, especially if older.

Joined Oct 31, 2012
Roast Peacock with its Plumage. 

(2552)  Procure a young peacock with very brilliant plumage: cut off half the rump with the tail feathers attached to it and spread them into a fan, then dry; also remove the wings with their plumage and gthe head with all the beautiful neck feathers as far down as the breast, including the skin; stuff the neck with wadding and insert a stiff wire in the middle to hold it in its natural position. Pick the peacock, draw, singe and free it of feathers; truss for roasting (No. 179) and stuff with a dressing made with a pound of soaked and well-pressed bread crumbs, the same quantity of chopped beef marrow, and season with spices (No. 168), chopped shallot fried colorless in butter and raw liver chopped up finely. Cook in a moderate oven, basting over frequently with butter and when cold dish it up on a  carved rice socle; adorn it with its plumage; surround with chopped jelly and a border of jelly croutons and serve separately a cold poivrade sauce. (No. 620)

(179) Contains directions for bleeding, plucking and singing fresh birds. Followed by directions for trussing the bird with needle through breast and thighs. 

(168) Long dissertation on various spices and their uses. 

(620) Poivrade sauce. Put into a bowl one gill of espagnole sauce, add to ti twice its quantity of oil, some chili and tarragon vinegar, pepper and salt; beat the whole together with a whisk and throw in a teaspoonful of chopped parsley and some finely chopped blanched shallots. 

From the Epicurean by Charles Ranhofer, Chef of Delmonicos, New York City. 

Joined Dec 24, 2016
I was thinking of brining it overnight then stuffing it with vegetables and tying it with bacon but I'm not sure because I would like to get the natural flavor from it and less of other meats like bacon

Latest posts

Top Bottom