cooking pasta. in

Joined Feb 4, 2005
Has anyone ever cook pasta in the sauce. Today made spaghetti so added sone extra water and after meatballs were done put the spaghetti into the pot and let it softene. I think not only will this add to flavor but starch will help thicken sauce.

Joined Sep 5, 2008
Has anyone ever cook pasta in the sauce. Today made spaghetti so added sone extra water and after meatballs were done put the spaghetti into the pot and let it softene. I think not only will this add to flavor but starch will help thicken sauce.
Yes. You can cook pasta like risotto and it will absorb the sauce's flavor. It will also free up some of its starch to go in the sauce, thickening it, much like risotto. You have to cook them for longer than the package says, and you have to carefully monitor the cooking/texture, because if you overcook it, it becomes a big gloopy mess. 

I like to cook dry pasta the way I learned from the farm families who have mills for pressing olives for oil in rural Liguria on the Italian Riviera. They cook pasta like a risotto.

Alain Ducasse: http://www.nytimes.com/2002/03/13/dining/the-chef.html

Joined Apr 3, 2008
I do it often. Or you can also parboil pasta in water and finish cooking it in the sauce, otherwise it will absorb quite a bit of your sauce.

Latest posts

Top Bottom