Cooking Pasta... In an Industrial Steamer

Joined Jun 11, 2018
So my chef wanted me to cook a bunch of spaghetti for a group staying in our hotel. It threw me for a loop when he instructed me to use our combi-oven, set to the steam function. He left for the day, and I did just as he said, only to have the pasta turn out mushy and uncooked... but only on the ends. The middle parts are fine.

I put all of the pasta in a perforated pan, and set that pan inside another pan, that was full of water (So you could just pull it out and drain it.) So it was like boiling water inside a steamer. My chef insisted that it was faster and more convenient, so I'd like to know if anyone has had any luck cooking pasta in a similar fashion, or if my chef has finally gone bonkers. Thanks in advance.

Joined May 5, 2010
Perhaps too much pasta for the pan? I've cooked hundreds of pounds of pasta by steam. Timing and technique. Did you check on the pasta half way through and give it a stir?

Joined Jun 11, 2018
Sorry for not responding sooner. While there wasn't much pasta per pan, I didn't stir it. I tried it again today, with much better results. You're absolutely right, timing and technique made the difference. Thanks for the tip!

Latest posts

Top Bottom