Cooking Live Lobster

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by handofike, Apr 21, 2011.

1. handofike

handofike

Exp:
    Home Chef
    I have decided to cook Lobster for my girlfriend.... the only way I can kill it is to freeze it to death first.... What is the best way to thermadore it after this has been done, straight from the freezer or thaw a little? Roughly how long to cook to sweet and tender???

Thanks

2. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    Why are you freezing it? That's really a strange way of killing something.

3. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Have you ever worked with Lobster before?  I don't think so !

4. handofike

handofike

Exp:
    Home Chef
    I was told that as I'm a novice that freezing was the easiest way as they trash around a lot if you boil them live and it's difficult for a novice to cut the spinal cord.....

5. iceman

iceman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    My goodness. Take it easy on the guy. He's not quite so sure about his methods, wherever he may have gotten them from, and he's coming here for better advice. 

You don't even have to kill them, just drop them in the screamingly boiling water (Julia Child did it that way so it can't be wrong), or you can jab them just behind the head w/ a Chef's knife in the nice crevasse of their shell. A fraction of a second, lights out. 

Now as for cooking times, here's an "IDEA", not gospel carved in stone: 

Boiled : 1 lb. : 12 - 15 minutes / 1-1/2 lbs. : 15 - 20 minutes. /  2-3 lbs. :  20 - 25 minutes / 3-1/2 - 5 lbs. :  25 - 30 minutes

Steamed : 1-1-1/2 lbs. :  20 minutes

Grilled Whole *(pre-cooked) : 1-1-1/2 lbs. :  2 - 3 minutes

Grilled Tails : Each : 5 - 7 minutes

Broiled Whole *(pre-cooked) : 1-1-1/2 lbs. : 3 - 4 minutes

Broiled Tails : Each : 9 - 10 minutes

Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
  6. handofike

handofike

Exp:
    Home Chef
    Thanks Iceman... I always thought that was the idea of forums too.... 

So I can just drop them in and that's fine.... That's what I expected to do but was told it would get messy....

Thanks again!

7. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    You can always hold a lid over them until they subside...

I prefer to kill them before I cook them though: place your knife as on these pictures, then push it all the way down, then slightly forward (toward the eyes) by about 1 inch or so. 

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
  8. handofike

handofike

Exp:
    Home Chef
    Thanks French Fries...

I've just checked YouTube for a few videos and your way does seem a better way of doing it....

Cheers

9. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    How long does it take a Lobster to freeze to death ?????? I think the boiling and knife through the body is the faster way...........

10. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook

I think some people put the lobster in the freezer for a little bit just so it falls asleep, then they boil it. I think it makes the whole experience easier on the cook, but I'm not sure exactly how easier it is for the lobster. And personally I don't want my lobster to stay in the freezer at all.

11. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef

I figured the keyword was fresh, I do feel better that they are sleeping. I already have some cows, pigs and fish in there to keep them company..............I was in your neck of the woods a week ago............

12. benway

benway

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    A Japanese cook I worked with would "hypnotize" lobster by standing it up on its head and claws and rubbing the top of its head.  My advice is that if you like eatting animals is to not make it too personal.  The best way to pay your respects is to do a good job in preparing your dish.  In the case of a lobster for thermador this means to whack it in half with a cleaver.

curiousmunchkin likes this.
  13. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
     "You don't even have to kill them, just drop them in the screamingly boiling water "/img/vbsmilies/smilies/eek.gif

They say that lobsters don't feel pain. I must say in my younger days there were a many times that I was feeling no pain. Don't think I would have enjoyed boiling or freezing.

We had a summer place in Martha's V. where I learned to cook lobsters 40 yrs ago.

The live puppies go into a large pot with rocks or a grate on the bottom so they don't touch it. They can burn or overcook.

Then fill the pot with salted room temp water. Flame on slowly at first to get the water warm. Around blood temp the lobsters fall quietly asleep. Then increase

the flame to simmer. Adjust time to # of lobster.  This is the nicest way for the lobsters, and the meat will be the tenderest it can be.

Any type of shocking will result in tensing. adrenaline will flows and the meat will be chewy.

for what that's worth

salty

14. iceman

iceman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Good point Panini. I used the term "screamingly boiling" because I believe the temp would immediately go down as you add the lobsters (kinda like putting things into a deep-fryer). I like things to be as extreem as possible in the beginning, then adjust after. 

Hey French Fries, those are great demonstration pics. Nice addition. 

15. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    After steaming plunge them in icewater so they stop cooking and dont get tough.. Save the liquid you boil them in for a stock. Or boil them in a Court Boullion mixture for flavor.

16. chrisbelgium

chrisbelgium

Exp:
    Home Cook
    It's a wellknown procedure to first put the lobster in the freezer for a short while (1/2 hour or so), just to benumb it. Then you put it indeed in a boiling court bouillon; you need to see the liquid bubbling, just simmering is not enough. Please do use a large pot with enough liquid in it, in which the lobster can easily be submerged entirely.

Put the lobster in upside down, head first, without hesitation and be sure it is completely under the liquid. This kills the animal instanteniously. You may however see some post-mortem contractions of the legs, nothing to worry about, the animal is dead. Cooking time depends on the weight of the animal. Iceman gave you some cooking times.

Handofike, when you say thermadore the lobster, do you mean making lobster Thermidor? That's a recipe starting with cooking a lobster. You're not nearly halfway when the lobster is cooked.

However, nothing really difficult.

17. handofike

handofike

Exp:
    Home Chef
    Thanks all...

I'm going to do a trial run in the week.... Still I think that a knife through the nervous system is probably the most humane way to go. Not 100% sure how I'm going to cook it now, as I've looked into maybe butterflying the tail but will be boiling the claws etc....

I need to do some research.

Chefedb, thanks for the icewater tip

Thanks again!

18. mmwineguy

mmwineguy

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Lobster pouched in butter, what two things go better together

19. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
  20. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Just curious if anyone else starts their lobster in room temp water? I tried to google it and could not find anything.

I'm shocked. This was the norm for us as well as most others living around us. We would just head down to

the boats and buy their culls for dirt cheap. We cooked a lot on the beach. We always had a piece of plywood to

keep them from walking off. If you put them upside down, they will stay/sleep.

There was an absolute difference in the texture of the meat compared to boiling.

What I can remembe,r the lobsters will sleep with a temperature change, sometimes play dead.

The capt's would tell us they start to loose sweetness as soon as they leave the trap.

pan