Cooking inspirations, Sandra Lee and others

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by benrias, May 2, 2005.

1. benrias

benrias

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    OK, it is now 2am and I just finished reading the long posts against Semi-ho made cooking and I just HAD TO respond--mind you, I am responding to 6 pages of posts, so this will be long.

But before I do, I just needed to describe an inspiration (mostly to contrast semi-ho's lunacy). One of the biggest inspirations for my love of cooking (2nd only to my mom) was Martin Yan. He made unusual ingredients, spices, and techniques seem common and even I as a young kid felt confident in trying his resipes. In fact, my first personal cookbook that I bought (as a kid) was Martin Yan's--and one of the first kitchen items that I bought was a wok (I am mexican, so this was a new item in our household.) I have nothing but respect and gratitude for someone like Martin Yan.

As for Sandra Lee--OOOOOOO MMMMMM FFFFFF'n GGGGGGG. I am so glad to know I am not the only one driven crazy by this woman's show. A few classic moments from the show:

1) "Now we are going to make peanut brittle. First unwrap a whole bunch of caramels, melt them, and then poor it over peanut. Now this is going to be a little chewey but..." IT'S CHEWEY BECAUSE IT'S CARAMEL!!!!

2) "I make donuts that taste WAY better than Krispy Kreme. First open up some sugar cookie dough, slice it, cuts holes in the center of the slices....and now we have donuts! And they are healthier for you because they are baked, not fried."

3) [I do remember hearing her describe family style dining as the family eating in the kitchen.]

As for the Little Big Head, I enjoy hearing her strong american accent giving way to italian when identifying ingredients. "Mootza-RAAAAAAAYLa" and "Shpee-GIIIIIIIIITTTTTI". And I have turned her show into a drinking game. Everytime she describes an ingredient's flavor as "nutty", I take a shot of rum.

Lastly, I must admit that I am part of the reason why Food Network keeps Semi-ho's show on the air. I add to the show's ratings because I watch regularly--and then I call my friend who is also watching it and we LAUGH and we LAUGH. RR I watch with the volume down because that way she is still pretty cute to watch cooking. And Little Big Head...ok, sorry, but she is just hot.

2. kerryclan

kerryclan

The first time I caught Semi-Homemade was by accident, just channel surfing. Shamdra was decorating a cake with canned frosting and corn nuts. Yes, corn nuts! :confused: I was, unfortunately, hooked from that point on. Since then, I've observed some of the most hideous, but hilarius, concotions one can imagine.

This show is kind of a throwback to the regrettable cuisine of the 1950s or so where canned, or otherwise processed foods, jello, and chopped meat ruled. Only problem is it's even worse. How FN justifies the airing of this nonsense as a cooking how-to program is beyond me, but I appreciate the laughs. :D

3. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    You think maybe, just maybe, that some people watching would go on to better things? Sandra might just inspire some people to go make their own pie crust!

Don't lose hope in people. :)

4. kerryclan

kerryclan

I hate to say it, but I doubt that anyone can go on to better things from a Semi-Homemade starting point. FN has much better programs for that. Rachael Ray, Gaida (little big head), Alton, How to Boil Water, etc.

That is the whole point. Besides unintentional comedy relief, Lee doesn't seem to have any purpose. And, many things (lack of safety, poor methods, bad combinations, etc.) on Lee's show would be a setback to a novice cook.

Just my opinion.

5. redace1960

redace1960

my daughter at 15 discovered 'Great Chefs' and turned the whole family on to it. what a show!! what a series!! BRING IT BACK!!!!! it had everything-working kitchens, diverse backgrounds, technique, top ingredients, classic recipes....everything a cooking show should be.

6. keeperofthegood

keeperofthegood

OK< just keeled over and embarrased myself from the laugh... uh waiter, one pair of pants to go.......

7. kateroni18

kateroni18

8. kerryclan

kerryclan

...all the reviews of Lee's "recipes" are similar to the one you linked above. This *****strates something I'm sure FN didn't count on - an intelligent audience! ;)

9. wwittman

wwittman

Nobody can open a packet or a can or a mix better than she can.
    But COOKING?
    That's not it.