Cooking hanger steak to temperature: on the stovetop or pan-roast?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by amuse_bouche, Oct 31, 2011.

1. amuse_bouche

amuse_bouche

Exp:
    Line Cook
    I like to cook hanger steak (in logs, roughly 4-5 oz portions, thickness is about 2-2.5 inches) over the stovetop because I feel I have better control over the resulting temperature (I prefer mid-rare).  Sometimes the meat gets so seared in the process however (I start the cooking with a medium high flame and then turn down to medium and cook each side for a few minutes until the meat feels correct to the touch), so I'm wondering if it wouldn't be better to sear and then roast in the oven.  Thoughts?

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  2. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    You can allow your steaks to come to room temperature before cooking them on the stovetop.  With such a small portion I would do them on the stovetop.

Use a lot of butter and baste.  :)

3. boar_d_laze

boar_d_laze

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    There are no hard and fasts, do what works better for you.  If you get too much crust, sear on each side and finish in the oven, even if that means only two minutes in the oven.  If you don't get too much crust, stay on top.  Simple as that.

Control the processes to get what you want.  You are the master of your steak, the captain of your soul food.

BDL