Cooking Forbidden Rice

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by chefsluggo, Aug 31, 2013.

1. chefsluggo

chefsluggo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I am cooking Forbidden Rice, what does anyone think about flavor profiles with it, serving it with salmon, I am looking for 4 star quality. I have never actually cooked with it. Thanks everyone!

2. geno

geno

Exp:
    Beverage Expert
    Isn't forbidden rice against the rules?

3. cerise

cerise Banned

Exp:
    Other
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  4. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    I find it really suited to shrimp.  I make a rice salad with black rice, shrimp, (raw) tomatoes, asparagus, peas and parsley - the colors are extremely appealing and the flavors all go very well.  It's got a nice bready taste, more like wheat, a firmer texture.  I think the color needs to be used to advantage.  Those little intensely red date-shaped tomatoes or the bright bright green of parsley or the other vegs mentioned are nice against white rice, but are dramatic and elegant and very appealing against the black rice.  Same goes for the pinkish of salmon or shrimp, but what i prefer about the shrimp is that they're self-contained, while the salmon will be cut, and the texture goes very well with the firm texture of the rice, you sort of pop into the rice grains as you pop into the salmon, the peas, the tiny tomatoes.  .