Cooking for the boss

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by tanksagain, Dec 23, 2003.

1. tanksagain

tanksagain

I've invited my boss and his wife over for dinner in the new year. I'm a pretty good cook and love trying new recipes. I know my boss has a real appreciation of good food and good times. So, I'm working on the menu. I love to cook so I take every opportunity I can to try different approaches, different things with food.
    I'm thinking maybe French. I enjoy the slow process of french cooking, it so brings out the flavours. My Chicken Marengo is excellent, but perhaps too heavy. Hmm, no, I'll go light with the rest of the menu, not the chicken. Okay, so what would go well with Chicken Marengo? Does anyone have any ideas? A peasant salad perhaps, a medley of root vegetables?

2. chefa1a

chefa1a

[see what likes, but start with an impressive appetizer

a savory strudel in filo or puff pastry are ussually crowd pleasers

(for example lobster, mushroom,) or a homemade spingroll.

These are a little labor intensive but they whew your guests

if the weather is cold in your area do a stew or an osso bucco

or a one pot dish. once again requires some pre-cooking but the good thing is that it is basically a scoop and serve meal and you get to sit down with your guests

then dazzle them with a special dessert

bannanas foster are really easy but impresive

get some funky hagendazz ice cream flavor

think ahead be smart and have fun

3. tanksagain

tanksagain

Thanks for your ideas!
    I'm thinking of starting with amuse bouche, then a salad, soup, the entree (marengo or filet mignon, not sure) and ending with cherries jubilee.
    What type of vegetables would go well?
    thanks

4. soussweets

soussweets

i agree with the osso buco idea,,,, you get to serve it in an intimate and inviting fassion that only a family style prepared braise can offer.

5. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    As far as vegetables go, now is the season for root vegetables, and there really is no better veg. than roasted root vegetables. Use a variety such as rutabagas, turnips, parsnips, carrots, etc. Toss them in some vegetable oil (for this application I prefer a more neutral oil than olive oil) with lots of salt, pepper and some fresh thyme. Then roast them in a moderate oven, stirring every 10 minutes until they are nice and golden brown. If you cut them into a large dice (1/2 inch by 1/2 inch) or into a batonette (a larger, thicker julienne) then they should take 35-45 minutes. When done toss them with a little butter and fresh parsley.

6. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    I love your chicken merango idea....I usually go with a couple of apps with happy hour...mushroom caps stuffed with wild mushroom duxelle ...black trumpet, morel, procini what ever you can get a hold of....dried wild shrooms are great for duxelle.mix of course with button and alittle bourbon and cream. Easy to pre make the filling then bake the mushrooms at the last minute. That should be enough...then a winter salad ....greens, cranberries, roasted pecans with a viniagrette....since your entree is rustic I would even serve the salad with the entree. Great bread and euro butter in addition to the roasted roots (especially parsnips)
    Think about possible a cheese course and a poached dessert....much easier to pull off then cherries jubilee. poached apples or pears in a wine sauce with a fruit tart is always a great way to end a heavier winter meal.Not having to be in the kitchen is a GREAT thing. You want to be a part of your party. So anything that can be premade and ready to serve is the ticket to your big meal.