Cooking for Diabetics....where to get info?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by shawtycat, May 7, 2002.

1. shawtycat

shawtycat

Exp:
    Hey guys!

I know that there are some foods diabetics are supposed to stay away from but that's about it. My knowledge is very limitied. My god-mother was diabetic and all I remember was the medicine part of it....I was little and didn't really understand what diabetes was.

Is there anywhere I can go to get more info on cooking for diabetics? I've been to www.diabetic-recipes.com for recipe ideas but that doesn't give me much in the way of info behind the recipes. And why do you have to know how much Dietary Fiber you are getting? And how many meat or starches you are consuming? :confused: I am totally clueless about this as you can see. And I don't want to go the way of a few people I know and just give someone a diet soda and less mayo on a sandwich. :mad: I wanna do this right! :bounce:

Thanks,

Jodi

2. svadhisthana

svadhisthana

This site has some information. Also, this link should help out.

3. shawtycat

shawtycat

Exp:
    Thanks Svad!

Gonna look into these links and do a few more internet searches. Hopefully Ill come up with the info I need.

PS:

Nevermind! That second link answered most of my questions, and gave me a link to a dietician who's brain I can pick. :D My mistake was looking for an Amer. Diabetic Assoc. instead of the Amer. DIETIC Assoc. Thanks again.

Jodi

4. svadhisthana

svadhisthana

My sister works for the American Diabetes Association! I know for a fact that local branch offices will answer questions over the phone and they might be able to send you some detailed literature or lead you in the right dirrection to obtain it.

5. shawtycat

shawtycat

Exp:
    Could've been a spelling error on my part. :blush: Or whoever listed it with the search engine. For example, if I type in AHA I don't find the Amer. Heart Assoc. I actually have to type it all out. Sometimes shortcuts aren't worth the typing time.

Thanks again.

Jodi

6. isa

isa

You should ask Nancy she knows a lot about it.

7. chefboy2160

chefboy2160

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Hey Shawty , here is a link you will find helpfull .

Diabetic Gourmandise . Lots of good diabetic food info here . Take care Shawty and keep cooking.
    douglas