Cooking fish in a dishwasher?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by Guest, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Hey guys. I just read about cooking fish in a dishwasher. Has anyone tried this? Is it practical or just a gimmick?

I'm thinking about trying it, should I have safety concerns?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2010
  2. amazingrace

amazingrace

Exp:
    At home cook
    Years ago,  when my inlaws were redoing their kitchen,  and got their first dishwasher,  this topic came up with them.  He wanted to give it a try.  She said absolutely not.  They didn't do it.  But it supposedly works.  Use filets,  but not a whole fish.  Season as you would for poaching fish via any other method.  Make sure the packets are completly sealed,  and put them on the top rack.  I googled cooking fish in the diswasher.  A lot of stuff came up,  including some videos on youtube.  Frankly, though, I think it's a gimmick, and maybe can be used for "shock value" if you want to be one up on a food snob. If you try it,  let us know how it turns out.   

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Thanks! I think I'll give it a try this weekend. 

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2010
  4. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    sorry, but why bother? i can think of a million other ways that will get you more flavor...rubbed and grilled, grilled with a glaze, pan seared with cornmeal, pan seared with spices, pistachio crusted and baked, vera cruz style or italiano, picatta, etc. etc. etc...dishwasher just doesn't have that same pizaaz or evoke any anticipation, for me, at least...and why screw up a perfectly good fish?

joey

5. benben

benben

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Hello to you, and welcome to the forum. I'm a newbie as well.

6. boar_d_laze

boar_d_laze

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    To the OP.  It's just a gimmick.  Joey's right. 

By the way, the method isn't poaching -- but a cross between half-a$$ed sous vide and en papillote.

If you're interested in doing fish that isn't the same ol' same ol' you could do worse than fooking around with wrapping (en papillote).  There are a lot of opportunities to play with what other things besides the fish go in the packet.  You just have to be very careful about time and temp, because -- since the fish is wrapped -- you can't see or feel it to test for doneness.

Parchment looks better than foil, but it costs more and it's a bigger PITA to get a good seal on a parchement packet than foil. 

Either way, opening the papillote and getting that first whiff of aromatic steam coming off the fish is just... Wow!

The problem with the dishwasher is that it controls for time and temp, and you can't.  But since most Americans seem to prefer -- or at least tolerate -- their fish radically overcooked that might not be a problem for you.  If you want to try it but with control:  Fill a roasting pan with very hot water.  Let it come to temp in a (preheated) 325* oven for 20 minutes or so.  Season, wrap, and bag your fish as you would for the dishwasher.  Then put your fish in the bain-marie and cook until done.

Somehow the idea that heat from an appliance other than an officially approved stove, can actually cook things, neither surprises nor delights me anymore. 

Just old and jaded,

BDL

Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  7. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    oh, just one more reason not to dishwash your fish that i'm sure you've considered....what about all the extra energy, and precious water waste that it takes...maybe the person that thunk this up owns a utility company!...

joey

8. gobblygook

gobblygook

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Don't listen to these naysayers.

I brine all my meats in my washing machine.  I tenderize beef by tumbling it in the dryer, and I steam my veggies by spraying down the compressor on my central air unit in the summer. 

chefbazookas likes this.
  9. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    This has been around for at least 20 years. It only works on fairly thin fillets or oily fish. Oh yea you can also cook it on the manifold of your car or truck. 

Ask yourself the question  WHY? unless you are in survival mode.

10. jomead

jomead

Exp:
    Home Cook
    This sounds so bizarre!

I am not adverse to experimenting but I think I'll stick with more conventional ideas

11. dc sunshine

dc sunshine

Exp:
    Other
    Point to make here...Please don't use dish washing powder if you are gonna try this /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

Yeah the idea is as old as the hills.  Never tried it, and I can't see the need to bother trying.  That having been said, make sure you clean it out prior to trying (e.g. the "chunk" trap" at the bottom).

Gobblygook - much laughter! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/lol.gif   Hey you could always try this one - boil an egg in your kettle while making a cuppa.  Reminds me of a thread where odd appliances were used for cooking jobs - like whisks on the end of a drill etc etc.

12. dcarch

dcarch

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I cook my fish in the dishwasher.

Therefore I have no choice but to wash my dishes in the skillet.

:)

dcarch

13. emilyhe

emilyhe

Exp:
    Home Chef
    I have never heard of such cooking method, thats just absurd /img/vbsmilies/smilies//biggrin.gif

14. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    I've read that you can also cook chicken the same way. Not that I'm very eager to try it - but there was an article on "molecular gastronomy" in a kid's magazine I read the other day where they described how to cook chicken breasts in a dishwasher.

15. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    The "birth of sous vide"??? /img/vbsmilies/smilies/crazy.gif

16. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Something like that! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

17. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    I can see the point of using unusual appliances or gadgets to cook food when the thing you need for preparing the food is LESS likely to be found in a house than the one you use to substitute it.  So say you live in a rented room without kitchen access or are out camping and have only an electric burner or a wood fire and want to make a cake, say, or if you want to make lunch in your office and have only your water boiler for making tea - that makes sense.  Then bring on the creative alternate ways of cooking!

But what kitchen has a dishwasher and not a burner???

I would much rather know how to wash dishes quickly on the stove! 

18. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Yea and I am going to wash my dishes in chicken stock. Before trying all the crazy things, a lot of people should learn how to cook the items the correct way. Sousvide is a different type concept, there is vaceum and maintaning same temp.

19. cheflisa

cheflisa

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Years ago, my cooking teacher, Madeleine Kamman poached her fish in a dishwasher.  But then again, Madeleine was a pioneer! 

20. ohbeary

ohbeary

Exp:
    Professional Chef

How irresponsible!, chicken! in a dishwasher!!, in a "kids" magazine, that is just asking for trouble, fish you might get away with but not chicken, how many homes have a vac-packer? to keep out the water (+dishwasher gunk) a ziplock bag is not going to do it by the time the chicken is thoroughly cooked, I hpoe the publishers have good lawyers./img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif