Cooking during Covid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined May 25, 2015
In reference to the racism claim, I will quote Inigo Montoya, "I do not think it means what you think it means." He made two statements that while may "hurt someone's feelings" aren't racist just because they involve a minority. I don't think not wanting to miss work because you can't afford to get sick in only a hispanic problem in our industry. Also, as much as the truth may hurt there is a lot of illegal labor in this country, and naturally a portion of that would be in service industries like food service. I remember how long it took me to get a line cook job near the city, even with my experience and degree because there was an abundance of under the table work being done by hispanics. I didn't hate or blame them for this, it just was what it was and simply pointing this out does not make anyone a racist.
Exactly. Just a statement of facts. I don't know of many in this industry (not just Hispanics) that get sick days so coming to work while sick is a given because you can't afford to lose even one paycheck. Some who are illegal have told me that they are very fearful of Trump. They are afraid that winding up in the hospital with no insurance to pay their bills will get them deported. They want nothing to do with authorities or law enforcement and will go out of their way to avoid them. I'm actually very sympathetic towards Hispanics. They come here with nothing and bust their asses, not like kids and a lot of other people from this Country. I can honestly say that those I know are an asset to this Country, legal or illegal.

Joined Jun 8, 2017
In reference to the racism claim, I will quote Inigo Montoya, "I do not think it means what you think it means." He made two statements that while may "hurt someone's feelings" aren't racist just because they involve a minority. I don't think not wanting to miss work because you can't afford to get sick in only a hispanic problem in our industry. Also, as much as the truth may hurt there is a lot of illegal labor in this country, and naturally a portion of that would be in service industries like food service. I remember how long it took me to get a line cook job near the city, even with my experience and degree because there was an abundance of under the table work being done by hispanics. I didn't hate or blame them for this, it just was what it was and simply pointing this out does not make anyone a racist.
Then you go on to give a whole paragraph on why it isn't racist is what people whom are being defensive do.

Joined Jun 8, 2017
I see no reason whatsoever you felt the need to turn a simple question into a political debate. I'm guessing it is because none of your friends nor family are buying the crap you're trying to sell neither. So you have to resort to an online community (about cooking of all things) to get someone to listen to you. The only other person who agrees with you is another white male. Then to top it off you add ethnicity into the mix. Then what, expect everyone to agree and feed your tiny ego? Just because I happen to be female does not mean my feelings were hurt. In order for that to occur I have to care about you. Please continue to go out in public without a mask, and while you're at it go to a large gathering. My ignorance overload is at capacity for the day. Happy 4th...

Joined May 25, 2015
The only other person who agrees with you is another white male. Then to top it off you add ethnicity into the mix. Then what, expect everyone to agree and feed your tiny ego? Just because I happen to be female...
Wow, looks like you hit all the cards with that one. Race, ethnicity, gender. I love you too.

Joined Sep 17, 2018
I see no reason whatsoever you felt the need to turn a simple question into a political debate. I'm guessing it is because none of your friends nor family are buying the crap you're trying to sell neither. So you have to resort to an online community (about cooking of all things) to get someone to listen to you. The only other person who agrees with you is another white male. Then to top it off you add ethnicity into the mix. Then what, expect everyone to agree and feed your tiny ego? Just because I happen to be female does not mean my feelings were hurt. In order for that to occur I have to care about you. Please continue to go out in public without a mask, and while you're at it go to a large gathering. My ignorance overload is at capacity for the day. Happy 4th...
If you reread my post I never mention any politics in it at all. I'm simply saying that calling any discussion about non whites "racist" kind of defeats the whole purpose of open discussion to fix actual racism. Racism and stereotypes are two completely different things and get mixed together a lot. No one here said anything about your gender, yet you make statements about Halb, myself and my family. You can't go around calling people names and then get indignant when they call you out on it. If you want to have an actual discussion about the points that were brought up, great, but just shooting everyone else down with labels does nothing for the discussion.

And by the way, while you were making wide assumptions about me on your high horse maybe you should look up where Seoul is before calling me "another white male."

Joined May 1, 2019
Actually not going to the doctor because you can't afford maybe one reason on the other hand alot of people don't like to know what is wrong with them they rather not know. It is an American thing. The deportation statement is something made out from ignorance you can be illegal and get checked up at clinics. Hes not racist just a little ignorant.

Joined May 25, 2015
The deportation statement is something made out from ignorance you can be illegal and get checked up at clinics
Maybe you and I know that to be true but all that matters is that there are many Hispanics here that live in fear. They see parents being swept up in ICE raids then deported and their children put in foster care. So they "fly below the radar" at all costs. I know one guy who is legal and he still absolutely freaked out when a cop pulled him over because he didn't stop completely for a stop sign.

Joined May 1, 2019
I keep thinking about why Arizona had a spike. You don't have to be an epidemiologist to put two and two together. Our major outbreak here in NY was during the winter and in the winter people congregate indoors breathing the same air exhaled by others. What's the temperature in Arizona, 110 degrees in the shade? People aren't going out, they're staying in the air conditioning that's blowing the same recycled air around.

And I hate to say this but also consider how they are "cooking" the statistics. I keep hearing that deaths not related to covid are recorded as covid or covid related. Just the other day I head from a son who's father had died of a heart attack. The death certificate he received listed the cause of death as covid and when he asked his doctor why that was so, the doctor said that they were told to do it that way.
Exactly. Just a statement of facts. I don't know of many in this industry (not just Hispanics) that get sick days so coming to work while sick is a given because you can't afford to lose even one paycheck. Some who are illegal have told me that they are very fearful of Trump. They are afraid that winding up in the hospital with no insurance to pay their bills will get them deported. They want nothing to do with authorities or law enforcement and will go out of their way to avoid them. I'm actually very sympathetic towards Hispanics. They come here with nothing and bust their asses, not like kids and a lot of other people from this Country. I can honestly say that those I know are an asset to this Country, legal or illegal.
Maybe you and I know that to be true but all that matters is that there are many Hispanics here that live in fear. They see parents being swept up in ICE raids then deported and their children put in foster care. So they "fly below the radar" at all costs. I know one guy who is legal and he still absolutely freaked out when a cop pulled him over because he didn't stop completely for a stop sign.
Yea unfortunately I am one of those who live in fear of my wife being taken away like that, so i understand what you mean. It is a scary idea being taken off to a camp for processing nothing more than a tin foil blanket and the cold ground to sleep on, just you and what you believe in at that point. My in laws neighbor got taken away like that his kids have not seen him in a year but he'll be back.

Joined Sep 17, 2018
Actually not going to the doctor because you can't afford maybe one reason on the other hand alot of people don't like to know what is wrong with them they rather not know. It is an American thing. The deportation statement is something made out from ignorance you can be illegal and get checked up at clinics. Hes not racist just a little ignorant.
Part of that mentality is built into people through health care entities like insurance companies. Everything is reactive instead of proactive. Health insurance will often times charge you more to go to the doctor for routine checkups and preventative care and charge less for when you need major work done. I do agree there is an out of sight out of mind mentality when it comes to health, as the wage earners in this industry sector are not devoting large sums of their checks to health care costs. A lot of times food, rent and transportation trump it.

Joined May 5, 2010
As far as the original intent of this thread, I've been getting some interest in caterings for this summer and had to turn them all down.
Many people want buffet and this is just not possible right now.
I'm wondering, and fearful that these people will go out and get some unscrupulous person to cater their food.
I have been trying to find some guidelines in industry news about buffets in general during these times. Does anyone know anything about this?

Joined Sep 17, 2018
As far as the original intent of this thread, I've been getting some interest in caterings for this summer and had to turn them all down.
Many people want buffet and this is just not possible right now.
I'm wondering, and fearful that these people will go out and get some unscrupulous person to cater their food.
I have been trying to find some guidelines in industry news about buffets in general during these times. Does anyone know anything about this?
Were these outside events or inside? I think being in open air would make a difference. It's kind of a coin flip for inside, because you could have a small amount of people in a large room, and have staff sanitize in between small amounts of people using the buffet at a time, but in the end everyone is just walking around in shared air the whole time. I know local buffets are open right now around here and are basically just going by the mandates for restaurants.

nicko

Founder of Cheftalk.com
Staff member
Joined Oct 5, 2001
Shutting this one down as it does not seem to be going well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom