Cooking characteristics of Turkey Vs Chicken

Joined May 22, 2009
Hi All,

I am cooking Christmas dinner again this year and will be purchasing a 9Kg free range Norfolk Black Turkey.

I usually use a method of cooking Turkey recommended by Gordon Ramsay which turns out really well.

Recently I cooked a chicken using the Thomas Keller method of a very simple method of not much preparation but a hot oven of 240 degrees where it was cooked very swiftly.  This worked wonderful and was the best chicken I have ever cooked.  Thomas Keller also recommends the same temperature when cooking Turkey.

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of the characteristics of Turkey Vs Chicken ie are they a very similar bird where the end result works out similarly.

Cheers

MV

Joined Jul 13, 2012
If you notice Keller likes 3.5 lb. chickens for service.  They lend themselves well to fast, hot cooking.  IMO I'd stick with Gordon's turkey method if you've had success with it in the past.  I have a slightly different method for turkey.  I grease brown paper with bacon drippings and butter and tent my turkey so it's self basting.  I pull the tent the last half hour to brown it up and I never stuff my turkeys.  I bake my stuffing on the side so there is more crunchy bits to go around.

Last edited:
Joined Jan 1, 2016
I'm trying to follow this but am having trouble with 240° being called a "hot" oven. What am I missing?

Joined Jan 1, 2016
Yeah. 240=464. You'd think that would almost incinerate a small bird after any significant length of time. New to me.

Joined Aug 21, 2004
I have cooked a lot of Thanksgiving turkeys in my career and tried a bunch of different techniques. For me the best method by far is high heat roasting. I don't do it any other way now.

475 for about 1 1/2 hours for a 14-15# bird. Rest the bird for for 30 minutes after coming out of the oven. Rough guess on the time/weight. If anyone wants more definitive time/weight, I can look for my buried roasting chart. It has to be somewhere! :~)

Joined May 22, 2009
Ok guy thanks for your help so far including your informed comments Cheflayne

Thomas Keller does a very well reviewed Roast Chicken where he seasons it, trusses it and simply puts it on a rack in the oven and heats it at 234-240.  This results in a very juicy, very brown crispy skin chicken.  I have only tried this method once and it was the nicest chicken I have ever tasted.

The Ramsay method I use is here:-

For the last 3 years I have used the Ramsay method and that has worked out just fine.  The question I am talking about is whether Chickens and Turkeys cook the same.  Thomas Keller believes so (as he does the same high heat with his turkey reciepe.

I use a thermometer to take the turkey to 68 degrees.  The turkey provider have confirmed this is safe due to the method of bird preparation (dry plucking and hanging)

Last edited by a moderator:
Joined May 22, 2009
Hi All, thanks for your help and your informed comments Cheflayne.

If I get you correctly Cheflayne, you believe that high heat roasting (as per Keller's chicken) is the way to go? I found Kellers chicken at 234-240 degrees the nicest chicken I ever tasted and it was a beautiful golden brown with crispy skin.

Keller uses a similar principle for turkey, Im just a bit nervous about trying it at Christmas!

Joined Jun 23, 2015

Hi All, thanks for your help and your informed comments Cheflayne.

If I get you correctly Cheflayne, you believe that high heat roasting (as per Keller's chicken) is the way to go? I found Kellers chicken at 234-240 degrees the nicest chicken I ever tasted and it was a beautiful golden brown with crispy skin.

Keller uses a similar principle for turkey, Im just a bit nervous about trying it at Christmas!
I am going to try this method on a chicken today.  This is how not to cook a turkey.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...D52E5F99C5FF3DC16C35D52E5&fsscr=0&FORM=VDQVAP

Joined Aug 21, 2004

Why wait until Xmas? Buy one now and try it. Not only will you get a beautifully cooked bird to enjoy, but you will gain experience. Experience that will help to ease the anxiety of using a new method at holiday time, because the method has been personally tested.

Joined Jun 27, 2012

Why wait until Xmas? Buy one now and try it. Not only will you get a beautifully cooked bird to enjoy, but you will gain experience. Experience that will help to ease the anxiety of using a new method at holiday time, because the method has been personally tested.
This is great advice.

Not just for turkey but for anything you want to do well but never have the opportunity or time for it.

Practice....

mimi

Joined Aug 21, 2004

This is great advice.

Not just for turkey but for anything you want to do well but never have the opportunity or time for it.

Practice....

mimi
Doctors spend their entire career practicing medicine...they might be on to something...hmmn...

Joined May 22, 2009
thnks guys for the advice, I have been considering purchasing a turkey in advance but they are quite hard to get hold of around here but Im going to try!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom