Cooking attire for the home cook

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by koukouvagia, May 5, 2012.

1. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    What do you all wear to cook in?  I can't cook with long sleeves though I see chefs doing so sometimes.  Hair must always be pulled back in a pony tail.  I never remember to wear an apron until after my shirt gets splattered /img/vbsmilies/smilies/frown.gif

2. thatchairlady

thatchairlady

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Have SHORT hair, so no problem there.  "Chefs" on cooking shows with long hair pulled back BUT LONG wisps hanging loose all around their face... I'd constantly be brushing it aside... don't get it?  Rarely wear long sleeves... usually cuffs rolled up 1-2 times to mid-forearm.  No apron... try to dodge splatters and avoid wiping hands on pants or shirt?!?

3. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    I usually change into crappy, loose, comfortable old clothes when i cook.  I seem to be a magnet for grease and staining stuff, so i just wear stuff that doean't matter. 

Nothing is so annoying in the kitchen as long sleeves that hang into the water of whatever you're washing, and you get a wet sleeve.  I have some big aprons, my favorite is the japanese style, mine comes from a store called Muji and is black denim.  I ALWAYS wipe my hands on whatever is handy, usually clothing, so an apron is a good idea.  Has to be big and go almost to the back. 

4. jimbo68

jimbo68

Exp:
    Home Chef
    I buy large cheap T shirts from a wholesaler in dozen lots.  At a couple of bucks each, then be tossed when they will no longer come clean.

5. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I try to remember to put on "good" supportive shoes if I'm going to be standing in the kitchen for a long period of time. The optimum word here is TRY, I hardly do remember and wind up with sore feet :rolleyes:

6. chefhow

chefhow

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I wear clothes but rarely shoes.

7. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    then my (flat) feet envy yours, chefhow, if you can do that without pain! 

Last edited: May 6, 2012
  8. dcarch

dcarch

Exp:
    Home Cook
    On my birthday, someone gave me a full chef's coat, hat, uniform.

Trust me, for a few dollars, it's hilarious when you serve your friends in full chef's uniform.

dcarch

9. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Home anythinggoes . Commercially a bit different . Once while at a restaurant in the Florida Keys a guy was cooking in an opened kitchen with only a bib apron on???  I could not believe it.

. Needless to say he only faced frontwards.    Welcome to the Florida Keys where mostly everyone has come out from a closet.

10. chefhow

chefhow

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I wear steel toed shoes 10 hrs a day, as soon as I get home they come off and rarely do shoes go back on unless I am going out of the house again.

11. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    BBQ grease doesn't wash out so I have tank tops and t-shirts that are strictly for that. General cooking I don't make that big of a mess but I always wear short sleeved t-shirts. Even in the winter /img/vbsmilies/smilies/lol.gif

12. butzy

butzy

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    For me it's bare feet, shorts and T-shirt. I normally forget to put on an apron....

I normally have a dish cloth or an other cloth close by (or hanging out of my pocket) to wipe my hands on.

Really need to start remembering to put that apron on :)

13. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Bare feet?  Ever been splattered by hot oil on the foot?  Ouch!

14. butzy

butzy

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Hey KK, it gets hot here, so it's flops (rafters or bath slippers) or bare feet.

And I don't see my bath slippers giving me any protection /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

And no, have never spilled hot oil on my feet, or arms, or anywhere for that matter (knock on wood). I mainly use a wok for cooking, maybe that's why?

15. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    OH MY GOSH!
    Hot oil splatters on bare feet is horrible!

16. michaelga

michaelga

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    LOL... most of the time I have so many things that I 'must' wear at work that I generally don't wear much when cooking at home.  

Maybe a pair of underwear and that is about it... if it's a bit drafty; but our house is always a bit warm though.

Be careful around bacon eh!!

Last edited: May 8, 2012
  17. jay cohen

jay cohen

Exp:
    Line Cook
    I ordered a basic short sleeve cooking shirt from Happy Chef. Very pleased with the price, fit and look. Also going to buy kitchen clogs, might even spring for some type of cap.
    I might not cook like a chef, but I can look somewhat like one.
    Just my .02

18. rbandu

rbandu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I just throw on an apron and a baseball cap with "Born to Braise Hell"  printed on it.  It was a gift from a former mentor of mine. :)

19. scubadoo97

scubadoo97

Exp:
    At home cook
    Shorts, old tee shirts and Crocs.  After the tees get stained enough they are used when mowing the grass.

20. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Crocs have been mentioned, I've never worn them for any reason. How comfortable. Are they for the home cook?