Cooking across the pond

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by Joel Allan, Aug 19, 2019.

  1. Joel Allan

    Joel Allan

    Likes Received:
    looking for advise
    Hello everyone! I am looking for advise on how to work in a high end kitchen in Spain or possibly France. I am 18 years old and am looking for a change of pace while doing the thing I love. I am not very interested in going to culinary school (I'd rather be working). I have been working in professional kitchens for over a year now and I want to expand my culinary techniques. I have saved up quite a bit of money because I know that working in a great restaurant might involve working for free. I am looking to leave as soon as possible. Will I need a visa if I am working for room and board or for free? How do I get my foot in the door at a restaurant in Spain while I am still living in Boulder, Colorado? I have read that it is required that I get a job before I leave so they can apply for a working visa for me is that really true or do restaurants in Europe really care? Any insight would be very appreciated!
  2. cheflayne


    Likes Received:
    Professional Chef
    I don't know about Europe, but that has been my experience in the Caribbean. However, I also know that people some time kinda sorta turn a blind eye, but even so your passport will only allow you to stay a certain amount of time before you need to leave the country for a certain amount of time before returning.