Cooking according to the Seasons

Joined Jun 9, 2001
Hello all!

I was wondering if anyone knew a web site that lists what produce is in season.

Thank you!

Joined Aug 11, 2000
Issac, produce is different in various parts of the country what each farm grows within 100 miles of St. Louis varies dramatically by what soil type or weather they experience....or what they put in the ground.I send a listing of produce to the daily paper every week so that they will print what is coming to market. If you wanna check out my website and see what St. Louis chefs are making with market (locally grown produce) that will give \you a huge hint as to what is available.www.saucemagazine.com under Clayton Farmers Market. Kinda funny, I went to market last week prepared to make swiss chard raviloi for the cooking demo and not a soul had it on the market ....now if ANYONE other than a farmer kknows what is coming in fresh I do.....I go out to farms,
I am the first at the market and the last to leave...many weeks I call around to see what people have available. I guess what I am saying is that you may not know exactly what is locally grown....but improvisation is a blast.

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
A good reference is the book "Culinary Artistry". It has a number of lists, one of which is the traditional seasons for many foods.

Joined May 26, 2001
Isaac, believe it or not, but you can just ask your vendors! That is, if you trust them. ;) Or if they send you regular faxes with prices, you may notice that some items get cheaper -- usually because they are in season and therefore more readily available.

Which is just my way of saying, There's got to be an answer, but I don't know what it is. :lol:

Top Bottom