Cookin Scallops

Joined Feb 12, 2011
Where I work we blanch the scallops before using them. I was told that this is a very common practice, and that they will keep longer and cook better. Never really questioned it, but I was doing some online research & could not find any info on this.

So.. do you employ this technique? More importantly why? & what are some pros &  cons for blanched vs raw? - (pro&con is part of why isn't it?)

I gotta assume that if this where so common I would have heard about it before. Course, its not like I've been everywhere & seen everything!

Last edited:
Joined Jan 5, 2007
I am not a professional, but I've never blanched scallops.  Wouldn't that make them a little rubbery?

Joined Jul 28, 2001
Don't think you have to be a professional to know this is wrong.

You usually don't have to kill something 3 times to eat it.

pan

Joined Jan 5, 2007
A second thought:  surely the scallops would take up some of the water during the blanching period?

Joined Apr 3, 2010
To do this to Scallops, is a  travesty. DO NOT DO IT ! and I don't know where it is common practice???

Thats why you can't find on line..

Joined May 22, 2010
Scallops aren't sponges, they're muscle tissue. I'd figure blanching them would have the opposite effect... it would firm the muscle and drive moisture OUT of the flesh.

They cook so quickly... and can be overcooked so quickly... I just can't wrap my head around the concept.

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
My guess is this started as a way to extend their shelf life because someone somewhere didn't know how to order properly.  Either way though, I would never do this and have never heard of anyone doing this.  It makes absolutely no sense.  Don't do it!

Joined Feb 12, 2011
Yeah this never seemed like a good idea to me. It really surpises me that this chef thinks its common & OK to do. I know he is smarter than this.

I wish I could change it, but that's not my place right now. I gotta support & uphold his standards. Maybe this can be a good story later.

Anyway at least I know that I'm not insane.

PS. Pete, I think you hit the nail on the head. He had some other reasons that I can't remember, but I'm sure he was just reaching to makes excuses.

Joined Apr 3, 2010
Reason is they were starting to go, so to extend life a day or to he blanched off..

Joined Dec 9, 2010
You need to call Gordon Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares.

as far ashe goes,  I have heard that man talk about how scallops should never be soaked or blanched because they will take on some water, plumped, and not cook correctly.

Joined Jun 28, 2010
Is he Chinese?

"Conpoy is produced by cooking raw scallops and then drying them. "

dcarch

Joined Apr 3, 2010
Yeah this never seemed like a good idea to me. It really surpises me that this chef thinks its common & OK to do. I know he is smarter than this.

I wish I could change it, but that's not my place right now. I gotta support & uphold his standards. Maybe this can be a good story later.

Anyway at least I know that I'm not insane.

PS. Pete, I think you hit the nail on the head. He had some other reasons that I can't remember, but I'm sure he was just reaching to makes excuses.
Sparkie !. If he lets people do this and trains and tells  them this way, then I am sorry but there are no standards to uphold.

Joined Feb 8, 2009
I looked at their menu, they only have scallops in one dish ( Mixed Seafood dish ) If your only using them in one dish, you don't really need them on the menu. The menu they have is large enough as it is, this is the problem with not using fresh seafood multiple times on your menu or in specials.........ChefBillyB

Last edited:
Joined Feb 18, 2011
Sparkle,

I'm just guessing that you do not use dry-pack scallops and the blanching is an effort to eliminate the sodium tryphosphate.

Joined Jan 25, 2011
I would never blanch scalops. I've never heard of anybody doing it either. I don't even like it when people wash oysters. I think one of the best things about seafood is that fresh salty sea taste.

Top Bottom