Cookies on a stick

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by kthull, Feb 10, 2003.

1. kthull

kthull

I'm making cookie trays for the school valentines parties and thought it would be neat to do those big cookies on a stick in the shape of hearts, decorated like the little candy hearts with their little messages.

Before I go off to the kitchen testing, has anyone done cookies on a stick before and have some advice for a newbie? I passed on the Wilton pans...the thought of pressing the dough into those rounded cavities seemed, well, just plain wrong.

In case it matters, I'm doing a simple sour cream sugar cookie, planning on rolling it out 1/4" thick to accommodate the sticks, which look about 1/8" in diameter. I figure I'll need to chill the cut hearts so they aren't too impressionable and then use a toothpick to start my holes. And I'm planning on inserting the stick half way up the heart.

Thanks!

2. kthull

kthull

Well, I did some googling for "cookies on a stick" and got enough of an idea on how to proceed. I baked off a couple test cookies and the sticks are firmly in place.

FWIW, several of the recipes suggested only placing the stick underneath the cookie and lightly pressing down prior to baking. I'm making 3-1/2" hearts that are 3/8" thick. All I kept picturing was kids in the classroom with the cookies flopping off, followed by tearshed. Has anyone done it this way successfully?

I took a slightly different approach, I flipped the cookie over and slowly worked the stick into the dough, then patched the back. I need to get a bit more speedy at this procedure when I go live with it, but the sticks are nicely sealed inside the test cookies.