cookie icing

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by drooel, Oct 23, 2005.

1. drooel

drooel

I want to make some cookies with a harder icing than the buttercream icing (like the type on cookies you buy from the store) and am wondering how I can make this.
    Any ideas would be appreciated,

Thank you

2. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Royal icing:
    powdered sugar, powdered egg white, and water. Add just enough water to get the consistency you need, and let it mix for a few minutes. Follow directions on egg white package for ratio of powder to water.

3. drooel

drooel

Thank you very much

4. oasis

oasis

Exp:
    At home cook
    ICING

50 g Butter
    1 cup Icing sugar
    2 Passionfruit, pulp only

ICING:
    Melt butter, pour into bowl.
    Add passionfruit pulp and stir in icing sugar.
    Beat for 1 - 2 minutes over hot water until icing is really shiny.
    Dip each biscuit into icing or drizzle over biscuits. Or dust with icing sugar.

5. drooel

drooel

Does that icing taste like passionfruit? I've never heard of using that before.

6. oasis

oasis

Exp:
    At home cook
    It does have a very distinctive taste of passionfruit and butter. The only problem that you may encounter is that some people may not like the black passionfruit pips, which can be removed prior to adding the pulp to the mix.A choice that you will have to make in advance.

7. larcito

larcito

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Hey!

I don't know if commercial fondant is available where you are but it can be melted in a double boiler and piped onto cookies (or they can be dipped into it). If you can't get it you can make a mock version by using icing sugar with just enough water to become a very, very thick icing. Add a dash of glycerine and a touch of glucose. Heat over a double boiler until you reach the desired consistency - do not overheat or it will lose it's shine.

Chocolate ganache is also great on cookies - 3 parts chocolate and 1 part double cream, melt together over a double boiler.

Hey presto!...... Hope you like!:roll: