Cookie Basket Help

Joined Oct 9, 2002
Can anyone offer suggestions on what material to use to secure cookies in cookie baskets? I'm about ready to just buy a cookie basket to see what a Cookies By Design or similar place uses, but I'd rather not shell out the hefty price tag.

Currently, I use floral styrofoam, but that doesn't hold the sticks tightly enough and the cookies keep turning around as you move the basket. Do I need to use floral foam (that green or gray block)? I've stayed away from it because it generates so much dust if you work with it that I can't imagine it's safe to use.

I have a rather large basket right around the corner (15 cookies) so any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Joined Mar 4, 2000
If the dust is your main concern, how about wrapping the foam in foil before using it?

What's the difference between 'floral styrofoam' (as you call it), and Oasis (the green stuff)?

Have you tried regular styrofoam?

Joined Oct 9, 2002
I figure I'm not saying the right thing by 'floral styrofoam' ... it's basically styrofoam, but not solidly packed like, say, a styrofoam cup or cooler. It's white and situated right next to the green stuff in the craft stores.

I thought about wrapping, but wasn't sure if then the cookie sticks would be coated in the fine dust. And I just don't feel comfortable about that stuff. My son did a little carving project with it once and several of us had to leave the house because we couldn't breathe anymore. It was freaky...you didn't see the dust so much as smell/taste it. Then you're sneezing and wheezing.

Top Bottom