Cooked or not?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by amazingrace, Jul 29, 2010.

1. amazingrace

amazingrace

Exp:
    At home cook
    Every now and then I find myself explaining whether I believe a processed meat is fully cooked or not.  The most recent discussion occurred with my daughter's mother in law at a family gathering which included 5 pre-school age children (three of them are my grandsons).  She asked me to get out the hot dogs so they could "warm" on the grill.  I looked at the package and said they need more than just warming, since the package does not say "fully cooked".   She said she had never heard of such a thing.  Reading the cooking instructions,  I said "It says they must be heated to 165 degrees before serving.  That means these are still raw".  I made sure they were thoroughly cooked,  but now I have serious concerns about what the boys eat there.  Not only do hot dogs come in both cooked and non-cooked format,  but so does ham and probably a variety of other processed meats. 

Now,  my question is "Why do the manufacturer's make a bold statement on the package that the meat is FULLY COOKED, but when it's not cooked, they seem to hide that from the consumer?"  In my opinion,  this is a serious safety issue. 

2. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    I suspect it has to do with historical procedures, Grace.

As a general rule, disclaimers are included when a product is other than how the mass of people would expect it to be (or to satisfy legal requirements). So, in practical terms, that means anything "new" style is marked as such.

Until relatively recently, non-dry sausages, such as hot dogs, were always sold in the raw state. When pre-cooked ones were introduced, they had to boldly announce it. The rest is pernicious habit.

But I also believe that raw hotdogs, nowadays, are the exeption. And as such, you're right, they should have a banner explaining that.

But it highlights, again, why savvy shoppers always read labels.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2010