Cookbook for widely available ingrdients, simple dishes?

Discussion in 'Cookbook Reviews' started by jellymister, Nov 24, 2004.

1. jellymister

jellymister

Hey all,

I just found this forum and am pleased as pie. I am a journalist living in Taiwan who has been addicted to food for life. I cook occasionallly and read about food way too much. I live in a small apartment, space being rare in a crowded Asian city. I have two gas burners and a cheap confectioners oven.

I was wondering if there was a cookbook out there with excellent recipies with very few ingredients, say four to seven tops. I've got Larousse Gastronomique, and a handful of books, most of which strike me as pretentious such as a fusion Asian cuisine book that calls for 15 ingredients or more for every recipie. I was hoping someone could direct me to a book that might include a simple potato soup with butter, potatoes, onions and water or purple cabbage with vinegar, butter, sliced Golden Delicious Apples and brown sugar. I've got those recipies, but I was hoping for something that had such things bound in one place. I'm not looking for things that are "easy" to cook, but finding a number of ingredients here such as fresh figs or artichokes, morrels or truffles, fresh tarragon or fresh oysters is nearly impossible.

And yes, I'm learning about Chinese cuisine, but I have several local friends who are interested in eating things that I would eat at home. Oh, what I would do for some smoked trout!

And have any of you read John Lanchester's Debt to Pleasure?

Thanks ahead of time :)

2. milez

milez

3. lotsarecipes

lotsarecipes

I have 2 of her books and have taken many out of the library. I have also seen her biography. She's famous for having recipes with everyday ingredients.

Ruth
    www.lotsarecipes.com

4. stephsherman323

stephsherman323

Gourmet has a relatively new book out. I think it's just called "Gourmet" - if not, it's great big and yellow. It's pretty exhaustive. I have had great success with everything I've made from it.

I don't have any of Rachael Ray's books, but her whole notion of cooking is simple and quick. I know there are several out.

Alfred Portale's "Simple Pleasures"

"Joy of Cooking"

Lidia Bastianich: "Lidia's Family Table"

"Good Housekeeping Illustrated Cookbook"

Martin Yan: "Quick & Easy"

Craig Claiborne: "New York Times Cookbook"

Cooking Light: "5 Ingredient 15 Minute Cookbook"

5. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    If I had to make do with only one cookbook (I have about 725) :eek: it would probably be Joy of Cooking. It's not perfect, but it has really solid information, and the recipes work. And it has been updated to cover many of the "ethnic" cuisines that are now popular.