Cook off advice

Joined Jun 13, 2017
So I’ve passed the first stage for a new job as head chef in a garden centre (don’t judge me) where I’ll be overlooking three kitchens if successful.

The second stage is a cook off. I have to produce a dish that can be served within 8 minutes, which is easy for me to do. And a dish which can be ‘hot-held’ in a Bain Marie or under hot lights.
The hot-held dish is what I’m struggling to come up with a new idea for. I could obviously do a curry, pasta, chilli, stew and so on but with it being an interview I need something to blow the interviewers minds and secure me the role!

Anyone got any advice for me on what to do?

Thanks in advance

Joined Oct 19, 2017
Look in to the area the centre is covering and do a dish to cater for the clientele, no point doing a pasta dish if the preference is Asian.

Joined Oct 31, 2012
Suitable for the clientele already served in keeping with the current menu. No beef stew for a bunch of vegetarians.

Joined Jun 13, 2017
Thanks for the posts guys but the cook off has just been cancelled :(

Instead the development chef will (hopefully) be enjoying lunch in the restaurant where I work already and judging me on that.

As long as I know which table he is on it should be all good as I’ll be cooking dishes I know inside out and in my comfort zone. Just got to keep the snotty commis away from his meals!

Latest posts

Top Bottom