"Cook"book suggestion?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by pullmanpair, Nov 20, 2009.

1. pullmanpair

pullmanpair

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    I'm being asked for gift ideas, and since I like to try new things cooking I was wondering if anyone knew of a good book that had great descriptions and/or instructions for creating 'food art,' sculpting fruits into various flower designs. Thanks

2. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    Pullmanpair,

If you are really into carving fruits and vegetables your going to love this book.

http://www.templeofthai.com/fruit_ca...it_carving.php

It really covers all your basic methods, if you are starting off a beginner, well by the time you finish with this book, you will be a pro. The types of knives and utensils make all the difference.

3. vohrtex

vohrtex

Exp:
    Other
    The classic La Technique by Jacques Pepin has some classic carving in it. Radish/olive mice, fluted mushrooms, egg/tomato mushrooms, tomato roses, orange baskets, etc.

4. kirstens

kirstens

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Jacques....One of my favorites. That man knows what he's doing. Everything he makes looks delicious and interesting, in a good way. Not ordinary dishes like seen on the FoodNetwork from the chefs / cooks.

5. pullmanpair

pullmanpair

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    Thanks petals, I'm either getting that as a gift or buying it myself, not sure how much patience I have... I too love Jacques, I'll look into his books as well.

6. missyjean

missyjean

Exp:
    Home Cook
    That is truly amazing. It's art

7. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    I have my man Jacques Pepin in my hands right now and yes he does have a few techniques in the book (one of my top "technique" books) you will be aglow with the other as it deals "only" with "food art"

But if your into French technique .....Jacques Pepin's Complete Technique has more than 1000 methods and recipes.

On page 308 Fleur en Sucre (Sugar flower) it shows you in detail how to make these beautiful flowers without burning your fingers.

Just a thought....

8. pullmanpair

pullmanpair

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    I'll be checking my local bookstore for that one tomorrow after work, can't wait.

9. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Julia Child's The Way to Cook is good, too- but it has no garde-manger.