converting

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by alices, Mar 27, 2003.

1. alices

alices

Could anyone help with a problem. Need to convert 6.5Lbs. raspberries with syrup. All I can get right now is Straight Raspberries. Thanks
    Alice

2. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    Can you be a little more specific? Are they commercially canned or frozen, or home-packed? Were they just sugared to make the syrup, or were they actually packed in a syrup? What form do you need? Are you talking about converting from pounds to grams? If you give us a little more information, someone here will probably have an answer for you in a jiffy. :D

3. alices

alices

Sorry took me so long---I am making a Raspberry Chipotle Sauce.
    The recipe I have been using commercially packaged Raspberries in syrup. I don't have the container anymore so I assume some things. Not always able to get that product I tried using Frozen rasperries. Assuming a 5 to 1 ratio, I added water and then 3 cups of sugar. Thicken the final with corn starch. It did not come out sweet enough and in the jar the water seemed to separate from the body of the sauce. Hope that make some since. Alice

4. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    Hmmm. I'm a little surprised that it didn't come out sweet enough, since frozen raspberries are generally 4 to 1, fruit to sugar, which would mean more sugar than you assumed.

Beyond that, I don't know :confused:

Okay, everybody, who DOES know???? We want to help Alice and have her stick around. :D

5. fodigger

fodigger

Not my area in general but I add no water. I use the cooked down juice of the berries to make my syrup. More flavor that way.
    Do you normally use the cornstarch? Or did you because of the consistancy of the product? Just wondering.

6. alices

alices

Hello, I felt the mixture was too running and needed to be thicker.
    The sauce I am making is a sweet heat. Thanks for helping. Alice