Converting Recipe with Chocolate to Cocoa, Help!

Discussion in 'Professional Pastry Chefs' started by tkellyvt, Jan 14, 2011.

1. tkellyvt

tkellyvt

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I have a recipie for a great brownie that uses only bittersweet chocolate, no cocoa powder. I want to lower my costs by substituing in some cocoa powder. Does any know the proper conversion for replacing bittersweet chocolate with dutched processed cocoa powder?

2. chefpeon

chefpeon Kitchen Dork

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef 27 years
    To convert a cake recipe that uses bittersweet or semisweet chocolate to one using cocoa:(information taken from Rose Levy Beranbaum's Cake Bible)

Substitute 1 tablespoon plus 1 3/4 teaspoons (9.5 grams) of cocoa, 1 tablespoon plus 1/2 teaspoon (14.5 grams) granulatedwhitesugar, 1 1/2 teaspoons (7 grams) unsalted butter for every ounce (28 grams) of bittersweet or semisweet chocolate.  Also, dissolve the cocoa in at least 1/4 cup (60 ml) hot liquid to bring out the cocoa's full flavor.

To convert a cake recipes that uses unsweetened chocolate to one using cocoa:  (information taken from Rose Levy Beranbaum's Cake Bible)

Substitute 3 tablespoons (18 grams) cocoa plus 1 tablespoon (14 grams) unsalted butter for every 1 ounce (28 grams) of unsweetenedchocolate.  Dissolve the cocoa in at least 2 tablespoons of liquid in the recipe to bring out the cocoa's full flavor.

Read more:http://www.joyofbaking.com/cocoa.html#ixzz1B9WJRDXB