Convection question

Joined Apr 3, 2008
I’m trying to bake a cake. The recipe says to set it at 325 convection. I did but it set to 305. Why does it do that? I put it in for the prescribed 45 minutes and when I checked it it still had a ways to go. I cranked it up to 360 and it set to 325. We’ll see how long it takes to bake. Why does convection do this and am I supposed to set it and let it drop or set it higher and allow it to drop to the temperature the recipe asks for? So weird.

Oh and I ran out of baking powder as I was making the cake. I looked up a substitute and it said to combine 2 parts cream of tartar to one part baking soda which I did so we’ll see how that works out. I don’t usually like baking soda in cakes.

Gosh I hate baking!!

Joined Sep 26, 2017
That's normal. Some ovens assume that you are inputting a temperature for a regular oven and adjust themselves to give you the same level of heat automatically; this way, you can just enter the temperature indicated in a recipe as is without worrying about converting between regular and convection.

By the way, baking power is always baking soda with some other stuff, so, even if you don't like using baking soda, you've always been using it through baking powder! ;)

Joined Apr 25, 2011
There should be a way to change the settings for temperature adjustment for convection vs conventional oven and allow you to just set whatever temp you want. You then just have to remember to lower temp setting when using recipe for conventional oven.

Joined May 25, 2015
By the way, baking power is always baking soda with some other stuff...

The other stuff in baking powder is an acid. Add a liquid and the reaction causes carbon dioxide to be generated. If your recipe already contains an acid (like cream of tartar) you can use baking soda by itself.

Joined Dec 30, 2015
I've read that convection gets in the way of a cake rising. As a result I set my cakes to non-convection bake. No good???

Joined Apr 3, 2008
Ok I'm still confused. So if the recipe asks for 325 convection bake, and I set it to 325 convection bake, the temperature automatically sets at 305. It wouldn't go any higher. In order for it to get to 325 I had to go up to 365. I don't understand this. The cake baked for 90 minutes and couldn't have probably used another 5 minutes. It was supposed to take 40-45 minutes according to the recipe.

Joined Dec 18, 2010
I’d be confused too. If an oven had AI and thought it could think for me, I’d get rid of it. Surely there must be a way to have the oven set to the temp YOU want.

Joined Sep 5, 2008
Ok I'm still confused. So if the recipe asks for 325 convection bake, and I set it to 325 convection bake, the temperature automatically sets at 305. It wouldn't go any higher. In order for it to get to 325 I had to go up to 365. I don't understand this.
Convection ovens cook your food a little faster than a regular oven. So when the first convection ovens were produced the manufacturers had to let customers know that they should adjust either the time or the temperature they saw in their recipe to compensate for the faster convection cooking. In the case of your oven, your oven assumes your recipe is for a regular oven and automatically adjusts the temperature to compensate for its convection cooking.

Don't you just love it when your tools become "intelligent" and start assuming what they think you truly want when you try to make them do something?

Top Bottom